Chapter 52: Departures

Maeve:

I wake with a sudden stab at my heart. I sit up and and grip at the blankets under my hands. I turn to Draco, his eyes closed, still asleep.

I feel my chest filling with fear of what is to come. The unknown. The room is dark and silent.

I take an other look at him and remove the covers off of me. I let one foot out to meet the tepid wood. It creaks as I walk to one of the windows on the side of the room. I let my hand move the curtain to reveal the blue sky being tinted by an orange glaze of sunrise.

I think of Hogwarts, the teachers. The students. I think of the first years, comparing my first year to theirs. How afraid they must be to go back. I am afraid. I am scared of what it will have turned into with Voldemort in power, his greatest enemy finally defeated.

I hear the blankets shuffling behind me and turn.

"Hey" his voice husky, cracking up. Eyes narrowed.

I turn back to face outside. I can't see the beach from here, but I can hear the crashing water on the shore.

I feel him staring at me, waiting me to go back but I can't. I can't sleep. I can't rest. This is all becoming too much to bear.

I hear steps nearing. The floor cracking.

Then two arms wrapping me, lips on my neck. I close my eyes. His body is emanating an aura of heat, He smells of morning sweetness.

I let him kiss me, his bare body on mine. I wonder how someone can make me feel so protected in a time where nothing is safe. I just wonder how I could love someone so much in all the hate surrounding us, gelid and bitter. But I am all his, always, in every way. Completely lost in him, his ways, his presence, his smell, his touch, kisses.

"I'm scared" I mutter.

"Don't be" He speaks lightly, not leaving my neck.

His lips are gentle. The way he holds me, kind.

I turn to face him, our bodies still close. His arms still on me.

"Let's go away."

My words sound more idiotic than what they did in my head.

"Maeve.."

"Let's just go away. Somewhere" I look away.

I can't stand his stare. I am craving for things to be as easy as I make them sound.

"Maeve look at me" He insists. His voice firm.

"It's gonna be okay." His hand travels to my cheek, his thumb rubbing my skin.

"When this is over- You-" He chokes.

"We will go away. Somewhere." He smiles, pulling a strand of hair behind my ear.

"I promise." He ends.

I close my hands into fists and rest them onto his chest, eyes to the floor.

His fingers raise my chin. His eyes meaningful, looking into mine piercingly. They then shift to my lips, his thumb running over them. He gets closer.

His kiss is tired, long and soft. His hands now holding me, trying to keep me tethered to him. Everything else quietens. Thoughts leave my head. It's just me and him. I grab him harder, he responds with an intake of breath. I let my hands run on his skin, his chest raising and falling rapidly.

"Maeve, you are too weak" He breathes.

His hands on my body acting against his words. I moan as he kisses my neck, his lips sucking at my skin. I shoot my head back. I let my body be moved by him, completely under his will.