42. You're free.

𝔸/ℕ: HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!! this one is ♡ short but very sweet ♡ hope you like it!!

»»————- ✼ ————-««

LOCATION: WAKANDA, RIVER TRIBE - MEDICINE HUTS

— What do you mean I can't go?- Magna scoffed. — No, I'm coming too.- she was just about to head outside when Bucky stopped her by blocking the doorway. His strong muscular arm barred the entrance of the hut and prevented her from passing. — What are you doing? I'm going with you!- the eyes of the brunette were wide with shock, raw pain filling her voice.

Shuri tilted her head in sympathy and joined the two. Ayo stood stoically next to Bucky, while two other guards flanked the princess from behind, their lowered spears cutting off Magna's escape.

— Mags,- Shuri pleaded, lowering her voice. — He must do this alone.- Magna ran a hand through her hair, desperately searching for a way to take control of the situation.

— I need you to stay here.- Bucky chimed in, desperate to reason with her. The brunette glared at him, clamping her lips tight. Unable to resist, he cupped her cheek in the palm of his hand and trailed his thumb over her skin to the corner of her mouth.

— But– Magna tried, her eyes frantically searching the floor around her, not understanding. He cut her off, speaking to her in a low, gentle voice.

— Promise me.- he said, and she raised her eyes. Magna heard the rasp of his breathing and felt his thumb travel slowly down her cheek, over her chin and back again. — Promise me you'll stay here. We don't know what's gonna happen. Please... I need to know that you are safe.- Bucky's hand shook slightly on her face and he looked very much like she felt. Broken, terrified, angry.

Reluctantly, Magna nodded in understanding. Adding unnecessary worries wasn't going to help either of them. It certainly wouldn't help Bucky.

— I need you to say it, Mags.- He just stared at her. At his skeptical look, she smiled softly, yet it lacked the spark that Bucky expected.

— I promise.- she relented. Bucky gave her a nod, studying her face, and she watched the way his magnetic blue gaze lingered there. A moment later, the man bent his head to touch his lips to hers. It was over too soon, and then he drew back. A flash of something in his eyes made her add, — I'll be here.

She glanced over Bucky's shoulder to find Shuri, Ayo and the guards awkwardly standing, looking anywhere but at them. Letting out a faint chuckle, Magna laid a hand on his chest, experiencing his warmth and the quick beat of his heart. Bucky caught her hand, holding it there firmly in place before leaning in, until his forehead touched Magna's and their lips were tantalizingly close again. The two stayed still for a moment before she pulled away first.

Ayo remained motionless, watching as the princess engulfed Magna in a hug.

— This is necessary.- the teen whispered in her ear, squeezing her tighter. The brunette simply nodded, in resignation, rather than out of true conviction. — Trust us. Trust Ayo.

— I do.- was all she managed to say, pulling away. Then, her kind eyes fixed on Ayo. — I do.- Magna repeated with honesty, speaking in a much clearer voice.

The princess was the first to leave, commanding the two guards to keep watch outside the hut, albeit discreetly. Bucky let out a heavy sigh and followed Shuri outside. He walked to the doorway and paused briefly to look back at Magna. The former soldier's gaze took her in for one final moment. After Bucky was gone, Ayo lingered by the entrance and locked eyes with Magna. The latter could hardly see, for the tears blurred her sight. At last, the Dora Milaje fighter bobbed her head, the latter's unreadable expression softening noticeably.