9. I told you so.

LOCATION: FIRENZE (FLORENCE)- TUSCANY, ITALY.

53 MINUTES LATER

Once back inside the car, Sam pulled out of the congested lane, and the vehicle ground to a halt in front the traffic lights. Magna turned to face Wilson as the light immediately changed and soon enough they were moving again along the street. She sighed dramatically, flipping on the radio and swaying in time to eighties classics. Kokomo by the Beach Boys suddenly started playing and Magna bit the inside of her cheek, holding back a chortle. 

— I hate to say I told you so...-she gave him a sympathetic pat on the shoulder and Sam narrowed his eyes, shaking his head. Her sigh resounded of feigned remorse, as if she really didn't want to have to say it. Bullshit.

— No, you don't.- he muttered warily as a small smile claimed her mouth.. — You love it. You love to say it.- she winked one of her sparkling brown eyes, then turned her attention to the bridge they were slowly crossing.

— I do love to say I told you so.- she admitted with a wide grin that dimpled the corners of her lips. — I so fucking told you so.

"Oh I want to take you down to Kokomo, we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow, that's where we want to go, way down in Kokomo..."

The emergency had taken place at a warehouse, causing extensive damage, impending loss of business, and widespread major damage to surrounding buildings and residential properties. The warehouse's deposit consisted of cocoa beans, and copra, which somehow caught fire in the storage area. Rules prohibited all smoking except in the outdoor cafeteria, which was also where the workers' lockers were, the bathroom, and where they took their break; someone must have ignored the warning signs. It was certainly a miracle nobody died. All material loss aside, everyone working at that warehouse should be glad they'd dodged what could have easily become a tragedy. 

By the time Magna and Sam arrived there, employees had already managed to get out of their burning workplace before the building exploded. However, over fifty people got injured while trying to escape the flames. Firefighters helped them get to the ambulances because medical personnel was overloaded with victims to aid and their backups were taking too long. Police officers then chimed in and transported more victims to the nearest medical facility.

A group of firefighters jogged around the side of the building, checking out the corrugated tin that lined the roof and sides. Metal would help stop the flames outside, but the group figured the inside would be mostly flammable wood. When they reached the back door, the firemen felt the heat of the blaze as more smoke oozed out around the door and windows. The interior was empty, or at least it looked that way. No one had been left behind, which was good. Coughing from the smoke, they quickly pulled up their face masks and eased on thick gloves, eyeing the back door before entering the blazing building.

For Magna and Sam, their options again were limited, as most of the work had already been done, fortunately. They simply inspected the perimeter, checking the fire hadn't spread from the original area. Once sure the situation was stable enough for them to leave, Sam turned right, gripping the steering wheel tighter as the vehicle tilted around one corner.

»»————- ✼ ————-««