45. Weird activities.

»»————- ✼ ————-««

LOCATION: CITADEL, GOLDEN CITY - WAKANDA.

THE PALACE - MAGNA'S APARTMENT

Sleep had become a time of nightmares. Sometimes it was Julia and Ronald's death she saw. Other times, it was the memory of some foster home she'd been moved to as a little girl. However, her dreams about Bucky were the worst. There was one recurring dream of the former soldier being captured by HYDRA and tortured to oblivion that terrified her.

Bucky didn't sleep. He couldn't. Not when she was this restless.

It had happened quite a few times already. When Magna had a nightmare, Bucky would wake her up slowly and sooth her until she fell back asleep– though never stayed the night. As soon as she was out, he'd go back to the couch. But that night was different. She wasn't dreaming. Despite a fatigue that she suspected had more to do with the weight on her heart than the limited sleep she'd gotten the night before, she couldn't fall asleep.

The brunette kept wriggling, tossing and turning around in her bed, trying to find a comfortable position. Something's on her mind. Bucky half rose, thinking to tell her she could safely go to sleep, then puffed out a breath and sank back against the couch, not wanting her to know he kept watch. She'd be surprised. He could explain it was only his sense of responsibility.

An hour later, the young woman realized that, despite her exhaustion, sleep would not come and gave up. The thoughts wouldn't stop, and she had to do something. Swearing under her breath, she quietly eased from the bed and rummaged in the bottom drawer of her closet to find her emergency packet of cigarettes. Then, Magna slipped out to the balcony, hoping the enormity of the night would swallow that hollow, tingling sensation.

The air was milky-warm on her bare arms, the soothing sounds of the city welcoming her. The young woman lit the cigarette and breathed in the smoke. Part of her was disappointed in herself for lighting it in the first place. Another was grateful for its soothing properties. She hadn't officially quit, but it was hard to ignore how blissfully distracted she'd been lately. I'll thank him later. Magna inhaled again and the tip of the cigarette glowed in the darkness.

She leaned on the balcony rail and got lost in the Citadel lights. It just kept going, and going. What happens if... No. It won't. But it 's working. Right now, it's working. And I can't walk out. I can't. But how would it work? No, I should walk away. God, Magna, you stupid, selfish bitch. She held the railing, closed her eyes tight and tried to clear her mind.

"Your version of a cold shower?" a deep voice said behind her.

"Shit!" She jumped and turned quickly,  clutching her chest, surprised to find Bucky resting his back against the doorframe. The brunette wasn't sure how long she'd been standing like that, but it must have been enough for Bucky to worry. The latter placed his hand on his hip as he studied her reaction.

"Sorry," his eyebrows knit together. "I thought you heard me walk up just now."

"Don't sneak up on me like that, or I'll put a bell around your neck!" her voice changed an octave or two with the surprise. There was a brief silence.

"Seems I can't help myself," he smiled softly, but the concern in his eyes didn't change. Clearing his throat, he asked, "Do you need anything? I can leave--"

"No, that's okay. You just scared the shit out of me," she smiled, putting out her cigarette in a crystal ashtray she'd brought out with her.

"I heard you tossing and turning in your bed.  I just wanted to make sure you were okay." Bucky trailed off, trying to choose his words carefully. Magna took another shallow breath. Her heart was still pounding, but the jitters were replaced with embarrassment. "Magna, what are you doing out here?" as her silence lingered, Bucky lost his train of thought and grew impatient. "Was it me? Did I do something--"