29. The tiger lies low.

»»————- ✼ ————-««

LOCATION: CITADEL, GOLDEN CITY - WAKANDA

9: 50 PM - UNDERGROUND GYM

Despite feeling quite sore, Magna was excited about that night. So excited she'd arrived to the  private training centre thirty minutes earlier. Getting there before her workout partner, she decided to properly stretch as she waited. The brunette was bent over, touching her toes when she heard thethe gym door open behind her. Not wanting her butt to greet whoever was walking in, she stood and faced the entrance.

Bucky stood by the doorway with a backpack hanging loosely on his right shoulder. He was wearing black sweatpants and a form fitting white t-shirt that was partially covered by an unzipped hooded sweatshirt. She waved, and he simply closed the door behind him and headed downstairs to meet her.

— Thank you for doing this.- she told him, honestly. Magna glanced over her shoulder at him just in time to see him swallow and she was suddenly struck with the fact that he was nervous, that perhaps he was having second thoughts.

She turned away from him, taking a few steps toward the padded floor. A moment passed.

— Yeah, well, I didn't have much going on.- if his words had been sincere she would have been drawn to his presence. But the sarcasm in his voice told her that he apparently wasn't keen on revealing the reason behind his change of heart just yet.

— Shall we?- she said, turning again to Bucky with sudden gaiety, a tiny smirk playing with the corners of her mouth. He looked across the room and managed to nod once.

The man took her by surprise and coolly breezed past her, taking the lead and walking ahead as if he were heading into a serious corporate business meeting, not into a gym. Magna followed, leaving the former soldier to focus on his thoughts.

Lost in her own mind as well, she was startled when Bucky stopped, so suddenly she plowed into him. Looking up, Magna realized they'd reached the wrestling mats. She walked up to the bench where she'd left her pack and searched for her bottle of water. When she had it in hand, the brunette turned to Bucky with a hopeful smile that died in her throat. The color was gone from his face and his entire body radiated tension.

— James?- she asked, heart dropping. Was he about to lose consciousness again? Fear seized her. — ... Oh, shit.

Shuri's gonna kill me.

—No.- he said, looking vacant. — It's not that.

She stared at him, unsettled by his distant tone. Bucky was completely blank-faced, and as mentally withdrawn from her as was possible.

— What is it?- she whispered. He shook his head as if tossing off a bad memory.

— Let's get his over with.- said Bucky, and pulled out a bottle of water from his own backpack as well, opening it before stepping onto the closest wrestling mat. 

Fucking training, Bucky thought. Of course it had come down to training again. His gut clenched tight, and with wooden feet he kept moving. The former soldier nearly suffocated --not from lack of air, there was plenty of it--, but from the memories. Memories of another training session, another continent,  another time.

Dark.

Cold.

Screams.

Blood.

Bucky took a deep breath and forced his feet to take another step. Jesus, he groaned mentally. 

TRUST MY HEART  ━━━ 𝐛.𝐛𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐞𝐬जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें