Ellipsis.

PART 2

»»————- ✼ ————-««

36 HOURS AFTER THE RESCUE

Steve and Bucky boarded the sleek looking Royal Quinjet, and as T'Challa gave the order to start the engines, the steady hum and drone of the machinetry helped to muddle the footsteps that clanked down the steel catwalk. To the east, the sun had risen, casting a golden glow over the airship's smooth exterior. 

The cold mountain air seemed to have sneaked its way inside the Royal Talon Fighter, chilling Bucky and Steve to the bone. However, the latter wondered how much chill was actually the wind and how much was his fear of being detected. Okoye came up beside her superior and sighed as she joined T'Challa in staring out the windowshield, who now wore a tailored garment that had elaborate embroidery on it.

— Okoye, get us off the ground as soon as possible.- T'Challa commanded casually, in a gentle, self- assured voice that obviously won him the respect and obedience of his people. Okoye nodded as she adjusted switches.

— Yes, my King.- she obliged automatically and jumped into action.

The King had introduced Okoye as the head of Wakandan armed forces, called the Dora Milaje, and she barely paid attention to Steve and Bucky as the two awkwardly bobbed their heads in greeting. The fierce looking woman glared at them for a moment and then turned, nudging her way past them, leaving the soldiers in stunned silence.

— You should buckle up now.- her gruff voice boomed over the severe turbulence, warning the three men that the jet was about to take off. T'Challa walked silently by her side for a moment, and then asked her tenderly to go easy on the Americans.

T'Challa and Steve's eyes met for a second before the former turned his back to him to co-pilot. The King's hand slid up the panel wall to one of the light switches, flicking off the overheads and leaving only the amber lights that licked softly the ceiling of the cargo bay, emphasizing the length of the platform. An extra set of red lights were flashing down in a thin vertical line, one over the other. The glimming crimson aura could be found too on each sides of the floor, connecting the metal ground surface with the walls of the airship.  

The engines sang faster and faster, and suddenly the ground dropped away --as the sophisticated little jet quickly gained altitude, banking on a westward course. They took to the sky and once they were stable Okoye put the aircraft into auto pilot, letting it soar to Wakanda on its own. Nervously gripping the leather armrest of his seat, Steve closed his eyes as the Royal Talon Fighter zipped across the ocean.

Aside from an occasional blip or whir from one of the numerous computer consoles, the jet was quiet as it continued to hurtle out through the firmament towards their destination. No one spoke, because no one was willing to curse this giant slice of luck. 

The airship soundlessly slid past valleys and along cliff walls, moving so swiftly that it seemed almost invisible. 

Except that it was invisible, thanks to its cloaking technology of retro-reflective panels, which granted the quinjet high level stealth capabilities.

The King held up a cup of some steaming beverage -which Steve and Bucky had politely declined- in his right hand, and thoughtlessly swirled its contents over and over with a circular wrist motion. Bucky stared out his window, feeling the Royal Talon Fighter climb joyously overhead. 

A tentative sun showed itself through melting clouds, pale and uncertain, like a fever patient on the first day outside and Steve had his head resting in his hand, deep in thought.