Ch. 4 Undress

Chapter 4

Kiara had no concept of time. She floated in and out of sleep as her body was moved around from place to place. In desperation she tried to search for Killian in her dreams but he always seemed to be just out of reach.

After sometime, her ears began to pick up sounds of hushed voices. They grew louder and louder until it felt as if she laid in the middle of a bar table, surrounded by many hands that moved all at once.

Someone lifted her neck and she felt the pressure around her head lessen. She still couldn't feel her legs and the needle that had been placed in her arm earlier was beginning to itch.

"Good morning, Kiara," Dr. Verma's voice came through all the other sounds.

Kiara slowly opened her eyes. Her throat was as dry as the desert. She could feel her lips, stuck to each other. Her body had no strength to move anything other than her eyes.

"We're giving you some fluids," Verma explained.

Kiara turned her head and found an IV tube in her arm.

"We've started you on Prenatal vitamins," Verma leaned over and checked Kiara's eyes.

"Why are you telling me all this?" Kiara managed to ask.

"Because we want you to know that we mean no harm," Verma said. She had a neck brace on along with a sling that she rested her arm inside. "We want to take care of you and your baby."

"What do you want from me?" Kiara asked, feeling her body slowly wake up as the fluids in the IV rushed into her body.

"We just want to know how your brain works," Dr. Verma said.

"What?" Kiara asked in confusion.

"We want to study your brain waves," Dr. Verma pulled up a stool and took a seat beside the bed.

For any outsider, the room resembled a polished high tech hospital. It was kept in peak condition as if only the elite could afford to stay in such luxury during their recovery.

But the closer one got, the more they noticed how wrong everything was.

For example, the chains around Kiara's ankles that were hidden under the bed. Or the two way mirror that hung across from her. And not to mention the lack of windows.

"You have a very special mind," Dr. Verma said. "We want to see your brain activities when you...."

Kiara narrowed her eyes, "when I take lives?"

"Some people think magic and science are two different things," Verma smiled slowly. She looked down at her hand as her words reached Kiara's ears. "We believe they're one and the same."

"They're really not," Kiara shook her head.

"What can magic do that science can't?" Verma tilted her head and lifted her lids. "Maybe at times we are limited by technology and resources. But everything magic can do, science can replicate."

"Science can't bring back the dead?"

"Can't we?" Dr. Verma laughed. "Doctors all over the world save people from the hands of death daily."

"You really can't save them when Killian or I decide they have to go."

"Maybe we can't...." Verma paused. "Yet."

Kiara narrowed her eyes, "What do you mean?"

Dr. Verma stared into Kiara's brown eyes. She had a strange smile on her lips as a nurse in the room fussed around and checked all the wires placed all over Kiara's body.