Ch.24 Just a drop

Chapter 24

Nora sat on her couch and stared at the TV screen as she flipped through the channels mindlessly. Her thumb held down the button on the remote and the channels flipped through at a speed too fast for her eyes to even catch what was on. Not that Nora was in any mood to watch TV. She just liked the sound of all the voices filling the room.

Lidia was out with her friends, leaving Nora to fend for herself. She was more than happy to get some alone time with just her music and shows. Nora didn't want her aunt asking her every five minutes why her face was so down and why she was so lost in the clouds. It was none of her business. And Nora knew Lidia would hound her for information. Especially since she heard Hayden in her room a few nights ago.

With a deep sigh, Nora was about to take her thumb off the remote and just settle for whatever was on the screen when her doorbell suddenly rang. Checking the time on the corner of the TV, Nora frowned and wondered if Lidia had changed her mind.

The doorbell rang once more as Nora hesitated slightly. She threw the remote across the sofa and jumped to her feet and made her way over to the door.

"Hey, Nora," Dr. Banks greeted her cheerfully as Nora opened the door.

"James," Nora paused. "Hey, how are you?"

"I'm good," Dr. Banks nodded. "Where's Lidia?"

"She didn't tell you?" Nora arched a brow. "She went out with some of the ladies from work."

"Oh shoot," James' face fell. "I didn't know. I was so busy at work, I forgot to check in with her today."

"That's fine," Nora smiled. "Do you want to come in?"

"Ah..." James hovered by the door for a few. "Yeah sure. Why not?"

Nora took a step back and let the man in. She closed the door behind him and watched him take a seat.

"Want something to drink?" She asked.

"What do you have?"

"I'm not really sure," Nora laughed. "Aunt Lidia has been doing the groceries lately."

"Oh, then she must have picked up that kombucha!"

"Yeah, that nasty stuff," Nora shivered. "She got me to try some. Not a fan of it."

"It grew on me," Banks laughed. "I'll have one of those. Or water if not."

"I'll go check," Nora headed for the kitchen.

She pulled the fridge open and spotted the glass bottles right away. Taking one out, she closed the fridge with her feet and turned to grab a knife to cut off the strange plastic wrap around the cap. But as she reached into the drawer, her finger grazed against the sharp edge of the blade and Nora shrieked in pain, shoving her finger into her mouth as a reflex.

"Are you okay?" Dr. Banks jumped up and rushed into the kitchen.

"Yeah, it's just a little -" Nora stilled as she took her finger out of her mouth and realized her finger was untouched.

That's not right, she thought as she looked into the drawer and spotted the blood on the blade.

"Nora?" Banks raised a brow.

"Yeah..." Nora looked up slowly. "Sorry....here's....here's your drink."

"Thanks," Banks said slowly. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah?" Nora looked down at the blade once more.

"How are you feeling?"

"Confused," Nora shook her head.