Ch.39 Like it's your last day

Chapter 39

Nora used her toes to push herself back and forth on the tire swing. The rope protested loudly as it rubbed up against the tree branch. She let out a small sigh and watched her breath hang in the hair. The cool air of the woods surrounding her chilled her bones as she kicked up the small wood chips all over the ground.

As Nora sat swinging, light footsteps caught her ear. She picked up her head and turned to find Birdie walking out of the woods with her long silver hair tied back as if she had done it in a hurry. Nora felt a bit envious of the girl's long skinny legs and slender body. Birdie could have easily become a model if she wanted too. She had the height, the body, and even the killer smile for it.

"Hey," the girl said as she spotted Nora on the swing.

"Hi," Nora smiled.

"Where's Hai hai?"

"Inside," Nora pointed to the second story where Hayden, Maya and Heyder could be seen inside the small home library through the glass walls.

"Oh," Birdie looked back as she took off her earpods. "I'm surprised he let you out on your own."

"What?" Nora asked in confusion.

"Hayden," Birdie laughed. "I'm surprised you're out here alone without him. Isn't he scared a bear might come out and eat you?"

"Um..." Nora's eyes flickered to the window.

"Relax," Birdie laughed once more. "We scared all the bears away....well, Hayden did."

"How?"

"Long story," Birdie sighed, looking around at the woods. "Do you want to come back inside? It looks like it might rain."

"Yeah," Nora nodded, getting up from the tire swing.

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay...." Nora began to follow the girl inside. She could feel Hayden's eyes on her as she made her way into the house.

"You don't seem so sure," Birdie observed. She pulled out a bottle of water from the fridge and offered one to Nora.

"Your brother did something," Nora took a seat on a stool at the island. "We're trying to figure out what he did."

"What do you mean?" Birdie arched her brow.

"We were in my apartment and I....." Nora wondered if she would sound stupid, but then quickly remembered she was talking to a jinn who looked like a fey. "I could feel Hayden's emotions."

Birdie's eyes widened, "Can you feel him now?"

"Yes," Nora nodded, rubbing her hands up and down her arms. "That's why I stepped out for a bit. I don't do well with stress."

"That's Hayden's natural state," Birdie rolled her eyes. "If the magic doesn't kill him, his stress will."

"What do you mean?" Nora asked.

Birdie shrugged, taking a sip of her water, "Stress isn't good for anyone."

"No, I mean about the magic," Nora shook her head.

"What about it?"

"You said if the magic doesn't kill him," Nora frowned.

"I assumed he told you," Birdie paused.

"No," Nora started to feel her pulse quicken and a dark feeling settle over her heart.

"Oh..." Birdie looked around uncomfortably. "Um...it's....it's nothing crazy, honestly."