Ch.21 No cream, one sugar

Chapter 21

Nora felt a slight pinch in her arm as she struggled to open her eye lids. She couldn't figure out where she was or where she laid. Her nose picked up the scent of spicy cologne and mint. It made her want to sneeze. But she couldn't. Her eyes watered instead and her nose itched.

"Hi, there," a man said as Nora began to slowly open her eyes.

Nora thought she arched a brow, but in reality she just stared at the man. Her big brown eyes were confused and filled with questions.

"Just taking some blood," the man smiled. "Not to worry."

"Nora?" Aunt Lidia's voice came from the side. "Hi, baby."

Nora wanted to turn her head but the thought suddenly made her so sleepy. She wanted to go back to sleep.

Nora.

Nora's heart skidded. The heart monitor picked up the slight change and displayed it on the screen. Dr. Banks looked up through his lashes and paused.

"Sorry, Nora," he said. "Just a little longer."

"Is she in pain?" Lidia asked, leaning over to see what Banks was doing.

"She's okay," Dr. Banks said. "This is normal. She is slowly waking up."

Nora, where are you?

Nora's lips parted and Lidia clutched her hand.

"What? What is it baby?" The women asked.

Hayden....Nora tried to say as she felt his presence all over her mind.

"She's trying to say something," Lidia looked up at the doctor as he finished with drawing blood.

Dr. Banks removed his gloves and pulled on a new pair. He took out a small flashlight from his pocket and began to check Nora's eyes.

Motherfucker, that's bright! Nora crushed.

Let the man do his job.

Why are you in my head? Nora demanded.

I'm not....Hayden said slowly.

Then how are we talking?

I....I don't know...

Hayden...

Yes?

I really have to pee, Nora said. And I smell french fries. Who's eating french fries?

Nora?

Yes?

Can you hear me?

Yes.

Nora?

What?

Shit....Nora?

Oh I'm going to go insane.

Darkness once again started to pull Nora under. Her eyes closed and she drifted off to sleep once more. She heard her aunt and the doctor speaking beside her, but not Hayden. It no longer felt as if he was sitting right beside her, whispering into her ears. She didn't know whether that was a good thing or bad. Nora liked being alone in her head. But having Hayden laced all through her thoughts for a few seconds felt....exhilarating.

Across the world, Birdie looked up from her book as Hayden's body jerked in his unconscious state. She paused slightly to see if anything else would happen as she reached for a french fry from the brown bag on the floor. In her head she counted to ten slowly to see if he would make any other movements. When nothing else happened, Birdie nudged Hayden's leg with her feet and leaned forward to check his face.