Ch.36 Heart to heart

Chapter 36

Kiara roamed the halls of the villa with nothing to do but admire the countryside that stretched before her like the endless sea behind the house. She had spent her afternoon sitting in the garden with Posey, talking about meaningless things that bored Kiara.

She had so many questions she wanted to ask. But every time she voiced her words, she was told the doctors said it was too soon. Posey's eyes would grow sad and the sweet smile on her lips would quiver. Kiara began to feel restless with the woman. It was as if they were all waiting for something to go boom.

As the sun began to move across the sky to the west, Kiara set off on her own to walk around the house. She toured one floor at a time, making sure to check every room and every corner. Ever so often she would find Tobias or Posey standing at the end of the hall watching her, but they never approached her. She was about to try her luck once more and go ask them why the staff was changed when a small sound caught her attention.

Kiara paused outside of a door that was slightly ajar. Her ears picked up the delicate sounds of a baby fussing and someone gently trying to hush it. Curiously, she took a step forward and peeked into the room.

The nursery was painted a dark navy with small stars painted all over. Kiara's eyes scanned the walls. She began to surprise herself as she identified some of the constellations. She was tempted to run her fingers over the stars but the baby's little cries were pulling her at her.

Kiara turned and found Killian's back facing towards her. She could see the baby in his arms wrapped up in plush white blankets as he rocked her slowly and kissed her forehead. As she took a step forward, Killian sensed her presence in the room and he stilled.

Slowly, Kiara took a step forward. She stepped around Killian and peered into his arms at the small baby. Her heart began to race immediately at the sight of the small button nose and the beady dark eyes. Kiara was tempted to reach out and brush her fingers over those sweet rosy cheeks.

As Kiara stood admiring the baby, she began to feel Killian's eyes on her. She lifted her thick lashes and found his gaze lingerie on her face with a strange look in his eyes. If she didn't know any better, she would think he was in heart wrenching pain.

Their eyes locked and a warm shiver ran up Kiara's spine. She didn't know if she should look away or step closer. It was as if Killian's gaze was begging her to come closer while pleading with her to go away at the same time. His face twisted and he looked away, dropping his gaze to the baby.

"W...what's her name?" Kiara cleared her throat.

She could hear Killian's breath stop as she reached up and pushed aside the blanket to get a better look at the baby. Somehow they had come together in front of the crib with nothing but the baby in between them. The intensity of the pull Kiara felt in the moment made her head sway. She felt as if her body was moving through honey and her mind was clouded with dark thick clouds.

Kiara's throat dried up and her hand began to shake. She couldn't stop herself as she moved her fingers forward and touched the edge of the baby' face. And as soon as she did, the pressure and ringing in her ears began to vanish and be replaced with a tender smile.

"Her name is Lila," Killian said, watching Kiara.

"Lila," Kiara tried the name on her tongue. "What a beautiful name?"

Killian held Lila as still as he could. Her small eyes watched her mother as Kiara leaned forward and admired.

"Why are you so fussy, Lila?" Kiara smiled. She lifted her gaze and looked up at Killian, "May I hold her?"