Ch. 37 Time out

Chapter 37

Hayden pushed the key into the keyhole and turned the lock. The click of the door opening filled the halls along with Nora's quiet sniffles. He looked over his shoulder as she wiped her puffy eyes and stepped into the apartment.

"I cleaned up the place," Hayden said as he followed the girl inside. "I hope you don't mind. I didn't want you to come home to the mess."

Nora nodded. She let out a long heavy sigh and slipped off the heels she was wearing. Hayden hovered by the door, not sure what to say or do. He didn't want to leave her alone in the apartment right after the funeral, but he wasn't sure if she wanted company.

Nora walked over to the sofa and plopped down. She leaned back and pulled her legs up as she placed her head on the back rest. Her face was dull and pale as she bit down on her bottom lip to keep the fresh new tears from rushing out once more.

"Do you have to leave?" her voice cracked.

"No," Hayden shook his head, looking at the girl crying on the sofa. "I don't have to go."

"Will you sit with me?"

Hayden felt as if he grew wings. His feet carried him over to the sofa and he sank down beside her. When Nora moved a bit closer, his heart started pounding.

"Thank you," she whispered, wiping her eyes once more.

"For what?" Hayden laid his head back and watched her.

"For arranging everything for the funeral," Nora took in a deep breath and tried to compose herself. "I don't think I would have been able to handle that."

"You don't have to thank me," Hayden looked up at the ceiling of the apartment.

He could feel Nora's gaze on his face. It made his insides feel warm and giddy. He wanted to reach out and touch her and tell her he was falling in love. But that would be way too much for her right now. She just buried her aunt...it wouldn't be appropriate to dump his emotions on her.

"It was nice of your parents to come," Nora said after a long stretch of silence.

"Yeah," Hayden nodded, suddenly very aware of how Nora's leg rested against his.

"I hope you apologized to them for the other night."

Hayden shrugged.

"Hayden," Nora frowned. "Why are you so stubborn?"

"Now is really not the time to be talking about me," Hayden turned his head. "How are you feeling?"

"I don't know," Nora confessed, staring into those green eyes.

"What do you mean?"

"I feel...." Nora's eyes began to water again.

Hayden lifted his head and reached out for her as she let the water spill. He pulled her into his arms and wrapped his arms around her small body as she buried her face in his chest and began to sob once again. Each time she shook with a sob, Hayden felt his insides shake along with her. He was terrified and amazed by how everything she did swept him off his feet and left him desperate for more.

"It's going to be okay," Hayden lowered his lips to her ear. "I promise."

"No," Nora shook her head and pulled back. "Nothing is okay. Everyone left me."

Hayden felt his throat tighten. He hated those fat tears in her eyes. They made his brave stubborn girl look like a helpless child.

"I'm here," he tried to reassure her.