Ch.19 Trust in me

Chapter 19

Kiara sat by the small bay window and gazed out at the lush green lawns. The warm breeze played with the trees outside as a few bees danced around the flower beds. Macy's mother kneeled by the dirt and dug up a small hole. She examined the marigold in her hand with caution and care before plotting it down and patting the dirt.

"Kiara?" Macy's gentle voice pulled Kiara out of her head. She turned and found the girl standing by the door holding her phone. "It's Killian again. He's asking if I've heard from you."

Kiara shook her head. Her breathing grew uneven as she pressed her lips into a thin line and took in a long breath.

"Tell him you haven't heard from me," she said.

Macy nodded. She hit the unmute button on her screen and put the phone on speaker.

"Hey, Killian," she said. "Sorry about that. What were you saying?"

"Have you heard from Kia?" Killian's voice drove daggers through Kiara's heart.

"No," Macy said, looking at Kiara. "I haven't. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, it's fine," Killian lied. "I just...her phone is off and I can't reach her."

"Oh," Macy frowned.

"Let me know if you hear from her, okay?" Killian said. "And if she comes by, call me immediately."

"Will do," Macy nodded.

Kiara looked away and stared out the window as Macy ended the walk and walked over to her. She felt the girl take a seat on the window ledge beside her and fix her gaze on Kiara's face.

"What's going on?" Macy asked once more. "You've barely said a word since you got here yesterday."

"I'm sorry," Kiara turned to look at her friend. "There's just a lot happening right now and I didn't know where to go."

"I'm glad you came here," Macy reached out and touched Kiara's hand. "Why won't you talk to Killian?"

"I have nothing to say to him," Kiara looked down at Macy's hnd soothing her.

"He sounds worried."

"He probably is."

More about you than me probably, Kiara thought to herself.

"Did you guys have a fight?" Macy frowned.

Kiara shrugged.

"About what....if you don't mind me asking."

Kiara slowly fille dher lungs and let out a sigh. She looked up and stared out the window, feeling her throat tighten up, "I asked him a question and....the answer should have been a yes or no....but....it wasn't."

Macy wanted to ask more. But she already felt as if she was pushing too much. Kiara was clearly not in the mood to talk.

"I asked him if he believed me," Kiara said, more to herself than to the girl sitting before her.

"He doesn't believe you?" Macy raised a brow.

"No," Kiara shook her head. "I just....I feel as if I've been shot out of the sky. There is this hole...a huge hole in my chest and it keeps getting bigger and bigger..."

As Kiara spoke, tears started to pool in her eyes. She pressed the back of her hand to her lips and tried to muffle the sob that rose up but she failed. Macy leaned forward and wrapped her arms around Kiara and let her rest her head on her shoulder.