Ch. 7 Innocence

Chapter 7

Nora's vision began to grow hazy. She could hear herself wheezing for air as she struggled with Kiara's hand around her throat. The harder she pushed, the tighter Kiara's grip grew.

The girl's eyes were glowing like headlights. Nora felt tears rise to her own eyes as her lungs screamed. Pressure began to build behind her eyes. Her arms felt funny and she wasn't sure if her feet were on the ground.

"Who are you?" Kiara asked, pulling Nora closer. Her voice was so calm and icy.

Nora wanted to answer her but she really couldn't.

"How do you know Killian?" Kiara asked.

All the fight slowly began to leave Nora's body. She witnessed the black spots in her vision before her eyelids began to shut.

Just then, a portal opened and Hayden ran out. His eyes narrowed as he spotted Kiara choking the life out of Nora. He barely had time to register the panic in his mind as he watched Kiara toss Nora's limp body onto the wet sand.

"Nora!" Hayden called to her as he flashed to her side and caught her body before she fell.

"Kiara!" Killian ran out of the portal.

Kiara looked up, her eyes still as golden as ever. For a split second it seemed as if she didn't recognize who he was. But as soon as the moment passed, anger clouded her eyes.

"You," Kiara said through her teeth.

"Kia..." Killian rushed up to her and grabbed her face.

Killian couldn't stop his hands from shaking. Kiara was dripping blood. Her hair had soaked up so much of the red liquid that her curls had fallen limp around her shoulders.

"Are you hurt?" Killian pulled her closer.

He desperately searched her face, neck, arm, shoulder. He needed to make sure she wasn't the one bleeding.

"Kia, answer me," Killian urged. "Are you hurt? How did you get here?"

"You didn't say anything."

"What?" Killian didn't hear her properly.

"You didn't say anything!" Kiara pushed him away and took a step back.

"Kia," Killian's heart began to race faster than it already was.

"I told you I liked you but you didn't say anything!" Kiara was crying.

Killian had no idea what she was going on about. All he could think about was the blood she was covered in and the fact that she was actually standing in front of him.

"Kiara," Killian said through his ragged breath. "Come here, please. Let me hold you."

"No!" Kiara yelled. "You broke my heart!"

"I'm sorry!" Killian took a step closer. "I'm so sorry, baby. But we can talk about all that once we get out of here. Please, let me just hold you."

"I..." Kiara suddenly looked around the empty beach. Ares and Clare had walked out of the portal and boats were beginning to drive up to the shore.

"Kiara..." Killian took cautious steps forward.

"I want to leave," Kiara's breathing labored. "I want to go home."

"Let me take you home," Killian begged. "Come here."

"Kiara," Posey's voice suddenly rang out on the beach.

Killian and Kiara turned as the queen of the underworld rushed forward with Tobias. The look of fear and relief in their eyes mirrored Killian. He tried to stop Posey from spooking Kiara but the woman wouldn't listen.