Ch.10 Good Girls

Chapter 10

Heyder swore his ears would start to bleed if he had to sit and listen to one more Tyveer complain about tiny shit he did not give two fucks about. Why was it his problem if the floors of the court were too slippery for the elderly? Let them fall!

Just when Ali dismissed the old jinn with the long white beard, Heyder rose to his seat and took off the gold crown. The hall grew quiet as they all lowered their heads and took a step back. Heyder's eyes scanned the room before he tossed the crown to Ali.

"What the fuck, man?" Ali mouthed, cating the crown. "Show some respect, Heyder."

"Take care of this, will you?" Heyder motioned to the long line of people waiting with their list of complaints for him.

"And where are you off too, sweetheart?"

"I have to go talk to Clare."

"It can't wait?" Ali looked at the jinns waiting.

"It's about Hayden."

"Is he okay?"

"He's fine," Heyder waved his hand. "Being dumb as shit, but he's fine."

"That's a family trait, Heyder."

"Can you just take care of this?" Heyder asked. "I'll be back soon."

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever," Ali rolled his eyes and put on the crown. "You know they hate it when we do this. You're supposed to be the leader, not me."

"And what are they going to do about it?"

"Complain to me!"

"Hurry up then," Heyder snapped his fingers and a portal opened. "They're waiting for you, sultan."

"Fuck you, bitch."

Heyder's shoulder shook with laughter as he stepped through the porta and disappeared. But as soon as his feet touched the floors of the dome, his good mood vanished like clouds. His eyes landed on Hayden standing outside of Nora's door with his head hanging and his hand in his pocket. The boy's jaw was clenched as if he was struggling to go inside.

Oh for god's sake, Heyder opened his mind-link to Maya. Your son has turned into a peeping Tom.

So he's my son now? Maya snorted. When did I win full custody?

Heyder didn't answer. He shut off his mind-link and walked into Clare's office without bothering to knock. He knew she was expecting him. Clare always knew.

"Not right now," she said as soon as Heyder entered the office.

"Yes, right now," Heyder was just as stubborn as she was.

"I have to go meet Kiara and the doctor. We have a psy-"

"I know what you are trying to do, Clare."

Clare paused. She had been scrambling to gather her files when Heyder entered the office, but as soon as he said those words, she stilled.

"You know I would never do anything that would hurt Hayden," she said, looking at Heyder standing by the door.

"This will," Heyder said. "The girl is human."

"What do you have against humans? Ella is human, but look at how good she is for Maksim."

"Hayden is not Maksim," Heyder's eyes narrowed. "And I have nothing against humans. They're great, just fine. But not for us."

"You don't know that."