Ch.18 Ruby Red

Chapter 18

"Kia," Killian tried to reach for Kiara's hand.

"No," Kiara pulled away. "Tell me you don't believe her."

"My dear, him believing me or not believing me doesn't change the truth," Azazel said from inside the room.

"Killian?" Kiara's eyes turned to the boy. She was beginning to gasp for air as her head began to sway.

"Don't listen to her, Kia," Killian said, stepping forward and taking her hand. "You're good. You're not who they say you are."

Kiara took a few steps back and pulled her hand away from Killian's. She looked down the hall, not really seeing much with the water in her eyes. She began to move, in search of her parents as Killian followed her.

"You need to leave," he said to his mother, looking at her over his shoulder. "Now."

"Mom..." Kiara called to her mother, picking up her speed. "Mom!"

Posey and Tobias came running into the hall just as Cerberus picked up his heads from the floor. Their eyes landed on the trail of tears on Kiara's face and collectively, their heart froze.

"Why are there boundary spells around the underworld?" Kiara asked, coming to a stop a few feet from the pair. "Why do you avoid the conversation when I try to talk about going to Italy?"

Tobias' eyes moved to Azazel. His jaw clenched as Posey stepped forward.

"Baby, we just want you safe here, at home. With us," she said.

"Why?" Kiara asked. "We never had boundary spells before. Why now?"

"They're to protect you," Tobias said calmly.

"Don't lie to me," Kiara shook her head. "I know why you brought me here. Tell me what Clare told you!"

"You need to leave," Posey looked at Azazel. "Now. Cerberus, take her to the boundary."

Azazel's eyes darkened. She took stubborn steps forward and caught Killian's gaze as she passed him. She slightly paused beside Kiara and tried to reach up and wipe the tears on her face, but Killian wouldn't let her. He grabbed her wrist and moved her away.

"Do you remember what I told you about anger, little dove?" Azazel looked into Kiara's broken eyes.

Kiara made a choking sound in the back of her throat at pulled at every cell in Killian's body. He wanted to jump in between the two and shield her from the horrible woman.

"It can either make you," Azazel said slowly. "Or destroy you....choose wisely, my dear."

"Enough!" Tobias snapped.

Cerberus began to bark uncontrollably. He was ready to drag Azazel out by the tail of her coat when the woman sighed and headed towards the door. She left behind a mess as Kiara stood crying and shivering, her eyes full of questions her parents were trying to avoid.

"Do you believe it?" she asked, looking at Tobias. "Is that why you put up the boundaries? So I can't leave?"

Tobias didn't answer. His jaw worked as he tried to think of some way to talk to Kiara without the whole thing turning into an even bigger mess.

"Tell me," Kiara begged. "Do you believe them?"

"Of course, not!" Posey looked from her husband to her daughter. "You are our daughter. And we love you very much. We will do anything to protect you."

"Protect me from what?" Kiara asked. "Why won't you just answer my question? Do you believe Clare?"

"It's not Clare," Tobias said slowly. "Dr. Trystan thi-"