Ch.27 Puzzle Pieces

Chapter 27

Heyder stood by the doors of the infirmary and watched his son wave his hand to put up boundary spells all around the place. He cleared his throat and waited as Hayden sighed and turned.

"Whatcha doing there?" Heyder raised a brow.

"Kiara was in Nora's room last night," Hayden said.

"How do you know?"

"I was there."

Heyder arched a brow, "Why were you there?....Hayden, we raised you better than that."

"It wasn't like that," Hayden clicked his tongue. "I haven't seen her in months. But I can't explain it....last night.....I had this odd feeling that I needed to see her."

"So you were there and Kiara showed up?"

"Yeah," Hayden nodded, looking back at his boundary spells.

"Who else was in the apartment?" Heyder asked.

"Me, Nora, her aunt and Dr. Banks."

"Banks?"

"Lidia is dating the doctor."

"So Kiara could have been there for anyone...."

"I'm not going to take any chances," Hayden said. "She's here in the hospital and she will stay here until she returns home."

"Hayden," Heyder took in a deep breath. "You do know that if Nora's name is on the loom then death will come for her no matter how much you keep Kiara away, correct?"

Hayden flinched from his father's harsh words.

"And this is something you can't stop," Heyder continued. "Something you shouldn't stop."

"Nora is not going to die."

"Nora will die one day," Heyder rolled his eyes. "No matter how much the idea hurts. She may die tonight or fifty years from now....but she will die. We all will."

"What are you trying to say?" Hayden sighed and shook his head.

"I'm just trying to understand you," Heyder said. "You said you would stay away from her."

"I have," Hayden looked away.

"But here you are," Heyder looked around at the force field the spell created.

"What do you want me to do?" Hayden asked in frustration. "If she's in danger, I'm not going to ignore it."

"Get out of her life," Heyder frowned. "Let her be. Whatever happens to her is none of your business anymore. You made the choice to not involve her in our drama."

Hayden didn't respond. He stared at the hospital door as his father's words swirled around his head bitterly. He could still smell Nora's perfume of wild lilies if he closed his eyes. Her silver watch ticked away in his pocket as he stood trying to break out of the haze.

As the two stood by the hospital doors, Hayden's phone began to ring. He pulled it out and Thea's name flashed across the top along with a photo she had put in of herself. Hayden hesitated as she stared at the screen.

"I would pick that up if I were you," Heyder said quietly. "Thea is a nice girl."

__________________________

"Do you know who you were there for?" Tobias asked from where he stood by Lila's crib.

Kiara shook her head. She pushed her hair off her face and sighed as she picked up the pen in front of her.