Ch. 33 Cry me a river

Chapter 33

Hayden stood by the side of Lidia's bed as Nora held the unconscious woman's hand and wept silently. Her big brown eyes were filled to the brim with tears. Her small button nose was read as a cherry and the apples of her cheeks matched. Hayden had given her his sweater to wear over the baggy shirt birdie had given Nora. he watched as she sat on the chair by the bed, almost drowning in his clothes.

"Nora," Hayden called to her gently. "Please stop crying. Piper said she'll be just fine."

Nora looked up and her eyes filled with more tears instantly. Her chin quivered as she bit down on her bottom lip. She wiped her eyes with the back of her hand, but missed most of it from the way her hand shook. Hayden walked around the bed to the other side and reached out.

"Please stop," he begged. "You passed out just a few hours ago. This isn't good for you."

Nora nodded. She let him hold her wrists down to her lap as he reached up with his other hand and wiped her tears. His skin was so warm she wanted to melt into him. Her feet were ice cold and her legs were covered with goosebumps. Nora had the uncontrollable urge to climb into his lap to seek his warmth.

"Are you cold?" Hayden asked, noticing how she shivered.

Nora nodded once more. She was hoping he would pull her closer but instead he raised his hand and snapped his fingers. A pair of jeans appeared around her legs and her feet were stuffed into thick socks. Nora quickly tugged at the sleeves of Hayden's sweater and pulled up her legs.

"Better?" Hayden asked, pushing back Nora's hair from her face.

"Thank you," Nora managed to say.

A small smile appeared on Hayden's face as he let his hand linger on the edge of her face. He held her gaze for a few seconds as her words swam around in his heart.

Anything for you, he wanted to say.

"Lidia is going to be okay," Hayden promised her. "Nothing will happen. She's safe. They caught Banks. He's in custody."

Nora nodded once more, making a strange sound in the back of her throat. Hayden's chest tightened as she tried to pull herself together. He wanted to pull her into his arms and hold her on his lap. But before he could, the door to the hospital room opened and a tall blonde with a heartwarming smile walked in quietly.

Nora's eyes widened as she spotted the woman and she immediately jumped up to her feet. Hayden let out a small sigh and slowly rose up to stand beside her.

"Hey, Ell," he gave a nod towards the blonde.

"Hi, baby," Ella's smile spread as she stepped farther into the room.

Nora used the sleeves of Hayden's sweater to wipe her eyes as Ella walked up to Hayden and kissed his cheeks. He greeted her warmly and kissed her back before turning to look at Nora beside him.

"Ella, this is Nora Kennedy," he said. "Nora, this is Ella."

"Your grace," Nora bowed.

"We met before," Ella smiled. "But you were unconscious so I don't think it counts."

Nora tried to smile but it didn't really work out. Hayden quietly reached down and took her hand and held it in his warm ones as Ella reached out and wrapped her arms around Nora.

"I am so sorry about all this, Nora," the queen apologized. "I hired Dr. Banks myself. And to find out he's affiliated with Skyfall......I'm speechless."

"It's not your fault," Nora said quietly.

"This has taken all of us by surprise," Ella frowned, pulling back. "It seems like day by day project skyfall keeps getting closer and closer to home."