Chapter 7

We, well, they, decided on an Italian restaurant not too far from the house. I say they, because I don't know the area at all, yet.  We discussed what type of food we were in the mood for, and agreed on Italian. 

It was a nice restaurant, and when we got there, it was obvious they went there often enough that the hostess knew to seat us away from the main part of the restaurant.  We were sat almost as if we were in our own little room. Just off to the side. It was nice. 

"Well," Brendon said, as we were sitting at the table. "There are some things we're going to have to do publicly." 

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well, people are going to wonder about the teenager that suddenly appears in my life and follows me around like a crazed fan." he winked. 

"Good thing I'm not a crazed fan," I said. 

"I'll get the media company to put out a press release. I don't think we'll have to do a press conference or anything ridiculous like that.  There might be some calls for interviews, and that's up to you.  Since you're a minor, and I'm your parent, we can decide if you want to be interviewed, and I'll let you know which publications I trust and which ones we might shy away from.  Oh, and I'll have to either RSVP to things as 3, instead of 2. Or if Sarah doesn't want to come, I have a built in date!" he smiled.  Sarah did too. 

"I also do a lot on social media, so when the press release goes out, maybe we'll introduce you to the fans that way? Oh, and I'll have to introduce you to the band. I should probably do that before the press release.  Maybe we'll have them come over tomorrow for a barbecue?" he asked looking at Sarah, who nodded. 

"We'll have to include Zack and Kala. And maybe Josh and Pete?"

"Sure," he said, pulling out his phone and typing into it. "Invite sent."

"I'll go grocery shopping in the morning. Jessica, you come with me, we'll get some food you like, as well as maybe some clothes and new bedding? We only have one or two sets for your room, and you should be able to choose your own bedding to your taste."

"Okay," I agreed. 

We finished our dinner, and the waiter brought over a chocolate cake with candles in it and "Happy Birthday" written on it. Brendon and Sarah, and the staff at the restaurant, surrounded out table and sang Happy Birthday to me. I was a bit embarrassed because the entire restaurant looked over, and Brendon sang a high falsetto. Sarah took pictures with her phone, and the waiter took a picture of the three of us. 

The waiter took the cake away and came back with slices for all of us and the rest of the cake in a box. 

"Happy Birthday, young lady," he said to me. 

"Thank you," I replied, shyly. I'm not used to being the center of attention. Even at the orphanage, my birthday wasn't ignored exactly, but with 50 kids living in two buildings, birthdays tend to be pretty subdued. Matron always made them special, still. 

"So," Brendon said. "What were birthdays like at the orphanage?" he asked as if reading my mind. 

"Umm, not quite as special as this," I smiled. "Matron would try to make the day special for the birthday kid. But there are about 50 kids living there in the two buildings, and little kids tend to take a lot of work and attention, so even the birthday kid was rarely the center of attention."

"That's sad," Sarah said. 

"Well, you try living in a house with 49 other siblings. It gets chaotic at mealtimes," I smiled. 

"Well, Happy, happy birthday, sweet girl," she said, pulling me in for a hug. 

"Happy birthday, kiddo," Brendon said. 

We left the restaurant and when we were nearly at the door, we realized we'd forgotten the cake.  I said I'd go get it and ran back to our table.  The waiter noticed and handed the box to me. 

"Happy birthday again," he said. "I hope it was a special day for you."

"It was," I smiled. "It really was.  Thanks."  

Brendon and Sarah were waiting at the door and we walked outside. Brendon took the cake from me and we walked up the street towards the car.  I noticed my shoe lace had come undone, so I bent down to tie it.  A group of people ran by me shouting Brendon's name. I looked up and realized, I couldn't see Brendon or Sarah anywhere. I looked up and down the street. The group of people had turned a corner, but I didn't think the car was that way. I couldn't remember which way the car  had been from the restaurant when we parked. I started to panic.  I didn't want to draw attention to myself, or them, so I didn't want to start shouting their names. 

I ran up the street to see if I could find them, but I didn't see them. So I turned a corner and ran back that way. I didn't see anything familiar. Now I was completely lost. I had no idea where I was or where the restaurant was.  I didn't know what to do. I sat down on the ground and started crying into my arms, sitting against a fence. 

I'd already lost my new parents.