Chapter 82

January turned into February and February meant baseball team tryouts.  I got the all-clear from Doc and Dr. Smith at Cedars-Sinai, where I'd been treated in September for the assault, to try out, but that I was to be extremely careful. 

I made the team, and Mom and I celebrated by going out for hot dogs.  She said it seemed appropriate. 

Dad called almost every night and when he called the night I made the team, he was so excited. The next night he had some downtime and he did a Twitch stream. And of course, he told everyone that I had made the school baseball team. 

Because Dad was away on tour, my first few games, my 'father' stand in were Patrick, Josh and Pete. Kala and Mom came, too. 

"You  have probably the best cheering section, Urie," one of my teammates, Christina (Chris), said, looking at the five of them trying to do the wave. 

"Wait until my dad gets home," I laughed. 

Dad came home the beginning of March, and it was so awesome to have him home. I didn't want to go to school the first day he was home, but he promised to pick me up. 

Two days after Dad came home, I had a baseball game. He was there, with Patrick, Pete, Josh, Mom and Kala and Zack. 

I was playing second base, as usual, and a high fly ball popped up to me.  I got under it, but lost it in the sun. It hit me in the head and knocked me out. I  heard someone scream my name, then everything went black. 

------------

Sarah's POV

It was so nice having Brendon home and he was loving being at Jess's baseball game.  She really was a good player. I don't understand the game that well, but enough to know she knew where to be when the ball was hit. And she hit pretty well, too, usually getting on base. 

We were in the fourth inning, and Jess was out on the field playing second base. There was a smack, and the ball went high in the air. I followed it and saw  it was a pop fly to second. I watched Jess as she tracked the ball, her glove up and ready, and then, she moved. Her hand came up to block the sun. She'd lost the ball in the sun. She missed, it, and I saw it hit her in the head, and she crumpled to the ground. 

"JESS!" I screamed, and Brendon and I ran down from the stands.  Her coach and a trainer were coming off the bench and her team mates were surrounding her.  One had taken off Jess's cap, and had put her glove under her head. The opposing team was standing at their dugout, their coach and trainer rushed over as well. Jess lay on the ground, not moving. I couldn't tell if she was breathing even. All I could think of was that she'd been hit in the head. The worst possible spot for her. 

-----------------------

Brendon's POV

It was my first time at one of Jess's games. Pete and Patrick and Josh had been standing in for me while I'd been on tour, but I was excited to be home and be able to watch for myself.  Sarah had sent some videos of her first couple of games and it was amazing to watch her. She was good. Better than me, that's for sure!

We were up in the stands, watching Jess play second base. Josh, Pete and Patrick were cheering on our little second baseman. Basegirl? Baseperson?

We watched as she lined herself up under a pop fly, and then she lost it in the sun. Suddenly, she was lying on the ground. 

Sarah jumped up and screamed Jess's name and the two of us ran down to the field. 

"Someone call 911!" I shouted, hoping Zack or Josh, or someone would have already. Jess was supposed to avoid getting hit in the head. 

I slid down beside her and looked at my daughter. She looked like she was asleep, but her breathing was shallow. I didn't want to touch her head, just in case there was a fracture, or she was bleeding or, or, I don't know. 

I could hear sirens getting closer.  Sarah was kneeling beside Jess, holding her hand and talking to her, trying to get her to open her eyes. 

Paramedics came and someone moved Sarah and I away from Jess. Sarah kept pushing back to her as the paramedics assessed Jess.  Sarah was trying to give them information that she felt was important.  Finally, one of the paramedics stopped and looked at Sarah, and started listening.  Sarah told them about her diagnosis, the assault in September and what had happened.  The paramedic relayed the info to her partner. They finished checking her over and put her on the stretcher.  She still hadn't opened her eyes. I was getting worried. 

"One of you can come with," the Paramedic said. 

"Bre, you go. You just got home, she's gonna want to see you," Sarah said. 

I wasn't thinking, I just agreed. I followed the stretcher. I assumed Zack and Kala or someone would bring Sarah to the hospital. 

I climbed in the back of the ambulance and sat holding my daughter's hand. 

"Dad?" I heard a small voice. "Mom? Dad?" 

I looked over.  Jessica's eyes were open, and she was looking around. 

"I'm here honey. I'm here."

"Dad? What? Why am I in an ambulance?"

"Well, you tried to catch a pop-fly with your head instead of your glove," I said, smiling at her. 

"Oh. That was dumb."

I laughed. I pulled out my phone and texted Sarah. 

--------------------------

Sarah's POV

After Brendon got into the ambulance with Jessica, I ran back to where our friends had been sitting. By now they were all standing at the bottom of the bleachers, waiting for more info.

"What happened? Is Jess going to be okay?" Kala asked as I ran over. 

"I have to follow the ambulance. I have to be there when she wakes up." I said. 

"Come on," Zack said. "I'll take you. We'll take you."

I followed them to the car. Josh, Pete and Patrick said they'd meed us there too. 

I could hear Zack and Kala talking, but I couldn't hear what they were saying. 

Suddenly, my phone beeped. 

"It's Brendon. Jess woke up in the ambulance. She seems to be okay," I said. 

"Oh, thank goodness!" Kala said. 

I breathed a sigh of relief, and sat back while we drove to the hospital.