Chapter 57

Jessica's POV

I have a killer headache. I feel like my head has been torn open, my brains scrambled and then the top hammered back on with tent spikes.

I moaned in pain.

"Sweetie? Hon, it's Mom."

"Mom? You can't be Mom. You're dead," I said.

"Sweetie. It's Sarah-mom,"

"Oh. Yeah. Sarah mom." I groaned.

"Want to open your eyes, sweet girl?"

I shook my head, which just made it feel worse. I moaned again.

"You're in pain, huh?"

"Duh," I said.

"Smartass," another voice said.

"Let me get the nurse. You did great sweetie."

"Awesome," I said. "Did we win?"

"Did who win?" The other voice asked.

"I don't know. Sarah-Mom said we did great. So did we win?"

"What did they give her?" Someone laughed.

"It's the anaesthesia wearing off," yet another voice said. "She really isn't fully aware of what she's saying. Hey kiddo. It's Crystal. I'm going to give you something for the pain, okay? You'll probably go back to sleep, and that's okay. By the time you wake up, your head shouldn't hurt so much anymore. Okay?"

"Uh huh," I said. I felt my left arm get warm. Just as I was dozing off, I felt someone's hand in mine.

I woke up. My head hurt. Like, a pretty bad headache. I opened my eyes. The light was too bright.

"Light," I said.

"Hi honey," someone said as they leaned over me and turned the light off over my head. I opened my eyes. It was dimmer. I could open my eyes without it hurting.

"Better?"

I looked up. Mom was standing over me. And Dad was sitting on the foot of my bed. I looked around the room. PopPop and Granny were beside me. And standing around were Josh and Tyler and Andy and Pete and Patrick and Zack and Kala.

"Did you guys have a party and forget to invite me?" I asked, looking at all the people.

"Well, I think that's a sign she's going to be okay," Dad said with tears in his eyes.

"What happened? My head hurts."

"You had surgery. Remember?"

"No. I don't remember the surgery,"

"Well that's good," PopPop said. "I'd be having words with the surgeon who operated on my granddaughter without making sure she was out."

"Do you want something for the pain, sweetie?"Mom asked.

"Yes please," I said.

A nurse came in a few minutes later.

"This shouldn't make you as sleepy, but since you just had surgery and you still have anaesthesia in you, you'll probably fall asleep, okay?"

"Okay," I said.

She put it in my IV. Mom was holding my hand and PopPop kept tickling my foot.

"Stop that, PopPop," I frowned.

"Sorry cutie. Just wanted to make sure all your parts are in working order," he smiled.

"Kiddo," Zack said coming over to me. "We're so glad you got through the surgery so well. Kala and I are going to go home, you rest up and we'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay," I mumbled.

"Hey kid," Pete said. "Andy and Patrick and I are also gonna jet. We'll leave you in the capable hands of your parents. We just wanted to make sure you were alright. Get some rest and we'll see you tomorrow or the next day."

"Okay," I whispered, as I started falling asleep again.

"Jessica, just take a bite," I heard. Mom was sticking a spoon in my face.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm trying to get you to eat some apple sauce," she said. "Which I've been trying to do for the last 15 minutes."

"How? I just woke up," I said.

"You've been awake for at least twenty minutes," Mom said.

"Uh, no. I just woke up with you shoving a spoon in my face,"

"Well, if you're awake now, open your mouth and eat some apple sauce."

"I hate applesauce," I said.

"Do you?"

"I think so," I said.

"Will you try some?"

"Fine," I agreed. I took a mouthful and spit it out.

"Nope. I hate applesauce," I looked at Mom, who did not look pleased.

"Thank you for the applesauce shower," she said, taking my towel and wiping her face and shirt.

"Sorry,"

"Well, if you're not going to eat applesauce, will you at least try the jello? I think it's strawberry. Or cherry."

"It's red in any case," Dad said, walking in. "What happened to you?" He asked Mom.

"Apparently your daughter doesn't like applesauce," she said. "Which I had to find out the hard way."

"Oh, now she's my daughter," Dad laughed. "How are you feeling kiddo?"

"Okay," I said.

"How's the noggin?"

"Still kinda hurts," I said. "But it doesn't feel like someone tore it open, scrambled my brains and then used tent spikes to close it."

"Nope. Staples," Dad said.

I looked at him with a questioning look.

"Where are Granny and PopPop?"

"They went back to the house to get some sleep. They'll come back tomorrow and they're going to stay with us for a little while when you come home. Dad has to go back on tour."

"When?" I asked.

"Not until you're settled at home," he said. "And, I thought, as a treat for being so awesome and brave through all this, we'd go to Granny and PopPop's for Thanksgiving. You can meet your aunts and uncles and cousins."

"Okay," I said, dozing off.

"Nope, wake up. Eat some jello,"

"I can't. Too tired," I fell asleep.