Chapter 13

"Good morning, sleepyhead," a voice woke me up. I opened my eyes and Brendon was standing over me.

"Morning, Brendon," I said, sitting up.

"Aww, I liked it when you called me Dad last night," he pouted.

"What?" I said.

"When I carried you up to bed, you called me Dad."

"I did?"

"Yeah. But if you're not comfortable, or you're not ready, that's okay," he said.

I think I blushed. Brendon laughed.

"Look, get up, get dressed, do whatever you need to do. It's nearly noon, and we have your appointment at the hospital at three. I thought maybe we could grab some lunch on the way over."

"Okay," I said, pushing back the covers. I was still dressed from last night.

"I thought it might be inappropriate to change you into your pyjamas. Besides, you were sound asleep by the time I got you up here. Did you have fun last night at least?"

"Yeah. Your friends are cool."

"That's why they're my friends. Only the best," he winked. "Get dressed, and we'll see you downstairs, okay?"

"Yep," I said.

I got out of bed and went into my bathroom and took a shower. I decided to put on a pair of my new jeans and one of my new shirts. I put on my blue high-top Converse and bounded down the stairs. Bogart jumped on me as I got downstairs.

"Good morning, Bogart," I smiled.

"Morning sweetie. Well, good afternoon," Sarah said from the kitchen. She was packing a bag with some fruit and water.

"I have no idea how long we're going to be at your appointment, and I like to be prepared," she said. "Besides, I guess it's the new mom in me. I want to make sure I have things for you in case you get hungry or thirsty."

I smiled. Usually, when I had these appointments, I was either with Matron or one of the staff and the water fountain was the only place to get a drink. And if I was lucky to have a couple of bucks, I could buy a snack or a pop.

"Are you hungry?" Brendon asked.

I shrugged.

"Not really," I said.

"Well, I was thinking we could stop for burgers on the way, sound good?"

I shrugged.

We got in the car and headed towards downtown.

Brendon pulled in to an In 'N Out burger place and we went inside to order food. I got a small meal and we all sat outside.

"Pete thinks you're adorable," Brendon said. "He thought it was hilarious and cute the way you just curled up on a lounge chair and fell asleep."

"Kala loves you," Sarah said. "We spend a lot of time with Zack and Kala, so you're probably going to see a lot of them."

"Cool. I like your friends. They're really nice."

"They think we should get you into the band," Brendon laughed. "I said I adopted a daughter, not a gimmick."

I smiled.

"Also, we have a bit of another surprise for you," Brendon said.

"What's that?" I asked.

"Your grandparents are coming next week to visit."

"My grandparents?" I asked, confused. I didn't have any grandparents.

"Yeah. My parents are coming from Vegas to meet you."

"Oh. Okay. Cool," I said.

We sat around for a little longer and then got back in the car and headed to the hospital.

Brendon parked in the underground parking, and we took the elevator up to the main floor. There's a Starbucks in the lobby, and both Brendon and Sarah wanted coffee.

"Do you want anything?" they asked,

"A hot chocolate, please?"

They ordered the drinks and paid for them, and then we all went to Dr. Roberts' office.

We were a bit early, so we sat in the waiting room. Brendon and Sarah had to fill in some forms, considering they were my new parents and had to fill out contact information. Sarah had also brought all my records that the orphanage had given her. She was thorough, that's for sure.

Once all the paperwork they had to fill in was done, we waited. I had my new phone, so they showed me a couple of apps to download, and I played on my phone while we waited.

Finally, Doc came out of his office and called me in.