Chapter 32

After soundcheck, Mom and I grabbed some dinner from the food that had been prepared for everyone and brought our plates back to the bus.  We chatted and ate.

"I know you're probably disappointed about missing the show tonight," Mom said. "But I want to make sure you rest up and get properly well."

"I know. It's okay," I said, nibbling on a piece of garlic bread.

After we finished dinner, I took my meds and got into my pajamas.  Mom and I picked a movie and snuggled up to watch it. We finished the first movie, and put a second one on. During that movie, I must have fallen asleep because I woke up when Dad came back on the bus.

"Shhh," I heard Mom say. "Jessie's asleep."

"Sorry. Let me put her to bed. Are you okay?" I heard Dad whisper.

"I am. I love that she fell asleep in my lap like that. We made a great choice, B. She's such an amazing kid."

"She is, isn't she?"

I felt Dad pick me up and put me in my bunk.  He pulled the covers up and tucked me in.

"Goodnight, Dad," I mumbled and rolled over.

"Goodnight, Jessica. I love you," he said.

"Love you, too."

When I woke up in the morning I felt truly better. We were moving, and I could hear Mom and Dad up in the front talking quietly. I got up, used the washroom and got dressed before going up to the front. Mom and Dad stopped talking when I walked in.

"Uh...?" I looked at them quizzically.

"Morning Kiddo," Dad said, putting his phone in his pocket.

"What are you hiding from me?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"She's already on to you, Bre," Zack said, handing me a bottle of water, knowing I had to take my meds. "How're you feeling, J?"

"Fine, thanks. Better," I replied. I took my meds and continued to look at my parents.

"We're not hiding anything," Mom said. "Dr. Sherman called and said you have a UTI and sent a copy of a prescription for you that we'll fill in Albuquerque."

"And that requires hiding your phone as soon as I came in?" I looked at Dad.

"Coincidence. I was just putting my phone away," he said.

I didn't believe them, but whatever. I poured myself a bowl of Froot Loops and sat at the table to eat. Kala sat down across from me and smiled.

"Having fun?" She asked.

"In general, yeah," I said.

"Good. We're enjoying having you here with us. It's gonna suck at the end of the summer when we go home and leave the boys to their own devices."

I shrugged.

"You nervous about starting school?"

"Not really," I said. It was still over a month away anyway.

"Good," Kala smiled.

"Is there something going on I don't know about?" I asked.

"No. Why?"

"You're all acting weird. Weirder than usual."

"We have a surprise for you in Albuquerque," Mom said.

"What?" I asked as I rinsed my breakfast bowl.

"Well, it wouldn't be a surprise if we told you!" Dad said, grabbing me on to his lap and tickling me.

"Dad! Stop!!!" I laughed, which launched me into a coughing fit. Dad stopped immediately and practically threw me off his lap. I held my sides and coughed until I could get my breath.

"Are you okay?" dad asked, looking concerned, then pulling back over to him.

I nodded, while the cough abated.

Mom sat down beside me and felt my forehead.

"You're sure?" She asked.

"Yeah," I replied. "I'm okay. It happens sometimes. Sorry."

"No. I'm sorry," Dad said. "I shouldn't have done that."

"What? Have fun? I have a cough. I'll always have a cough," I frowned. "I'm not fragile."

"Okay, okay," Dad said, wrapping his arms around me and giving me a kiss on my head.

"Want to try the guitar? We still have a few hours before we get to Albuquerque,"

"Okay," I said.

We spent the next couple of hours with him teaching me the notes, which strings were which notes and plucking a few chords.

"Nice job!" He said. "You're picking that up fast!"

I smiled. I'd always liked music.

We stopped for a fuel up stop and Mom and Dad and I got off the bus and went into the station. I used the washroom and walked back out into the store. I was looking at the t-shirts and Dad came over.

"Want one?"

"Oh, god no. They're so cringe," they all had really pathetic tourist sayings and stuff on them.

"You sure? Who else at school will have a t-shirt from... where the hell are we anyway?"

"Somewhere, New Mexico?" I suggested.

"Elephant Butte," Zack said, walking up behind us.

"You're an elephant butt," Dad said.

"Thanks. But that's the name of the place. Elephant Butte. With an E."

"Elephant EButt?" I asked.

"You're a smart ass just like your dad," Zack smirked at me.

"That's it. We're all getting shirts from here. How many kids at school will have shirts from some place called Elephant Butte?" Dad asked.

I rolled my eyes as he pulled t-shirts off for everyone.

"I insist you wear this on your first day at school," Dad said.

"Not a chance," I said.

We got back on the bus and Dad handed everyone their Elephant Butte shirts.

"In Albuquerque we are all putting these shirts on and taking a picture," he said.

"Oh god. Please no," I groaned. 

"No choice, kiddo. You're a Urie now,"

Mom looked at the shirt and looked somewhat unimpressed.

"Please, Mom. Don't make me wear this?"

"What?  You don't want a picture of yourself with 'Elephant Butte' right across your chest?"

Something told me I was not getting out of this. I sighed and threw the shirt onto my bunk.

We pulled into the venue a little while later.  I was sitting and looking out the front, talking to Bob, our bus driver. I saw my surprise as soon as we pulled in.