Chapter 36

When I woke up in the morning, I found my stomach was upset. Mom came into my room to find me already awake.

"I don't think I can go to school today," I said.

"Why? What's wrong?" She asked feeling my forehead.

"My stomach hurts," I said.

"You're nervous. I'll bet that's it," Mom said. "You'll be fine. Get up, get ready, and I'll make you some toast and tea."

I did so, got dressed in jeans and a TwentyOne Pilots shirt, grabbed a hoodie and my school bag, and put on my Converse. I took my meds and looked at myself in the mirror. I looked okay. I sighed and headed downstairs where Penny and Bogart jumped at me.

"Good morning puppies," I said, sitting at the breakfast bar. Mom put a plate of toast and grape jelly in front of me and a mug of tea.  I ate a few bites and my stomach settled.

"Better?" She asked as I started in on my second piece of toast.

"Yeah. I feel better. Still nervous though," I said.

Mom came around the counter and gave me a hug.

"You probably won't be the only new kid, and besides. You are my amazing daughter. You're smart and funny.  Remember that."

"Yeah, but don't you have to say all that? 'Cause I'm your daughter and all?"

"Well, yes. But it's still true," she smirked. I rolled my eyes.

"I set you up a lunch account so you can eat at the school. Please make good choices," she said.

"Okay," I said, finishing my tea and putting my dishes in the dishwasher.

We got into the car and Mom drove me to school.  I took a deep breath as she pulled into the carpool lane.

"Ready?" She asked. I shrugged.

"You're gonna be fine," Mom said. "Remember, Pete's picking you up. Call me if you have any problems otherwise call me when you get home, okay?  Can you walk the dogs after school?"

"Sure," I said.

"Thanks. Love you kiddo. Go be smart," Mom said.

"Love you too, Mom. Go be, um, productive?" I said. She laughed.

"Get out of here before you're late," she smiled. I got out of the car and checked the schedule is been given when we met with the principal. I had English first, so I headed to the classroom.

Miss Abigail was at the door greeting students as they walked into the school.

"Good morning, Jessica. Good to see you again. Do you have a minute before you go to your first class?"

"Um, sure," I said, wondering how I could possibly be in trouble when school hadn't even started yet.

"Great. Just go wait for me in the office. I'll be there in just a minute."

I went into the office and the receptionist smiled at me.

"You're Jessica, right?" She asked.

"Yeah," I said. "Am I in trouble?"

"Oh, no. Miss Abigail just wants to go over a couple of things with you. Nothing serious and definitely not trouble."

I sighed with relief and pulled out my phone to look at Instagram. Dad had posted a picture of me from the tour.

'Sorry I couldn't be home for your first day of school @JessicaBUrie, but I know you're going to rock it!!  Good luck on your first day! Love ya!