Chapter 68

I got up in the morning, did my morning routine (meds, dress, make sure I didn't look like a goof), grabbed my school bag and went downstairs.

"Hey, there's my girl. How'd you sleep?" Dad asked.

"Fine," I said.

"Really? Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning," he said, putting a plate of waffles in front of me.

I looked at him, then picked at my waffles.

"Are you going to eat the waffles, or are you going to turn them into some sort of art exhibit?" he asked.

I responded by folding one of the waffles up and shoving it in my mouth.

"Nice. Don't choke, hey?"

I rolled my eyes, pushed the plate away and went to the front door.

"I guess it's time to leave, then?"

"Yeah," I said.

"Wait for me. B, I'll take you to the airport from school," Mom said.

The three of us piled into the car and Mom pulled out into the street.

Dad kept trying to talk to me, but I was trying not to cry that he was leaving again so soon. He was chattering about what we'd do together when he was home. And how we had Halloween to look forward to. And then Thanksgiving in Las Vegas.

We pulled up to the school and I got out of the car.

"Jess," Dad said as I started to walk away.

"What?" I said, turning around.

"Please, hon. It's just a week. Please don't be upset. I'll be home before you know it,"

"Yeah. I know," I said, and turned away.

"I love you!" he called after me. I kept walking. Paige was waiting for me.

"Is that your dad?" she asked.

"Yeah," I said.

"I thought he was on tour?"

"He came home for one night to surprise me because I got my cast off. He's leaving now. Mom's taking him to the airport right now. He's meeting the bus in Vancouver, Canada and going to Vancouver, Washington."

"Are you okay?"

I shrugged.

"Yeah. I'm fine."

"Yeah, you seem it," Paige said skeptically.

I knew by lunch time, Dad would be on his bus.

We walked into English and my phone dinged. I checked it quickly. It was Dad.

"I know you're upset I have to leave. Please don't be. I'll be home in a week. I love you."

I put my phone away.

The day went like any other day. It was Friday, so at least I had the weekend to look forward to. I'd probably get together with Paige, and I knew my grandparents were going to call tonight, and I really liked talking with PopPop and Granny. We texted all the time, but they called every week.

After lunch, I went to music. Now that my cast was off, I could play the piano, so my music teacher had me starting to play.

Between music and PE we had a 15 minute break, so Paige, Astrid and I walked towards the change rooms. Darren, John and Adam were coming out of the science building.

"Hey, Urie. How's it going?" Darren asked.

"Alright. How are you?"

"Good. Nice to have your cast off?" he asked.

"You have no idea," I said.

The speaker above our heads crackled to life.

"Jessica Urie, please report to the office, Jessica Urie."

"What did you do?" Darren asked, a twinkle in his eye.

"Nothing?" I said, confused.

"You'd better get going," Paige said.

"Yeah. I'll see you in class once I find out what this is about," I said.

I walked back towards the office. When I opened the door to the office I was not expecting to see who was there.

"Uncle Pete? What are you doing here?"

"Your mom sent me to get you. I'm taking you home."

"I still have PE. I mean, I can't actually do anything, but still."

"Jess, I've been told to come get you and take you home,"

"Why? What's wrong?" I asked.

"Let's just get you home, okay?"

Ms. Abigail was standing nearby.

"Jess, I've excused you from your class. Go with your uncle."

I followed Pete out to his car. He wasn't his usual jovial self. Ms. Abigail hadn't said to have a good weekend like she does every Friday at dismissal. Something happened.

I got into the passenger seat and did up my seat belt, afraid to ask.

"Uncle Pete," I said, as he pulled out of the driveway. "What's going on? Why did you come pick me up early? What happened? Is Mom okay?"

"Your mom's fine. She just told me to come get you."

"Something's wrong. What's wrong? Why won't you tell me? Is it Dad?"

"Jess, let's just get you home, okay?"

We drove on in complete silence. My stomach traveled down to my feet. My heart was in my throat.

As soon as Pete turned into my driveway and stopped I ran out of his car, not even stopping to close the door, and ran into the house.

"MOM!" I called out. "MOM! Where are you? What happened? Why did Uncle Pete pick me up early?"

Mom was in the living room, she'd been crying. On the TV was a burning wreckage of what looked like a bus.

I stopped dead.

"NOOOO!" I cried. "Not again! Not again!"

I sank to the floor and broke down in inconsolable sobs. Mom came over, wrapped me in a tight hug and cried with me. Pete sat down with us. Eventually, he picked me up and brought me over to the couch. Mom sat beside me, hugging me. People kept coming into the house. Patrick, Kala, Josh. My phone was blowing up with texts and notifications from social media. Linda and Spencer came as well. Everyone was talking quietly. At some point I heard that no one was sure it was Dad's bus, but no one could get in touch with anyone on the crew. Dad wasn't answering his phone. None of the band were answering.

"I was so mean to him when he left this morning," I cried to Mom, who hadn't let go of me since I got home. "He texted me and told me he loved me and I didn't answer.

I sobbed uncontrollably.

"He knows you love him, baby. He knows."

I don't know how long I sat there with Mom and with Pete, Patrick, Josh, Spencer, Linda, Kala, who was worried about Zack, too, and whoever else kept coming in. At some point, someone picked me up and was carrying me upstairs. It was Josh.

"Hey, you fell asleep downstairs. Your mom thought you'd be more comfortable in your own bed. Plus, you need to take your meds," he said.

"I don't want to," I said.

"You need to take your meds to stay healthy, kid,"

"I don't want to," I started crying again.

Josh made me take my meds anyway.

"Uncle Josh, please don't leave?" I asked when he settled me on my bed.

"I'll stay right here, kiddo," he said. "Try to get some sleep, I'll stay right here. I promise."