Chapter 61

Everyone stayed until about eight o'clock, then Dad had to leave for the airport and Mom wanted me to go to bed since I was going back to school.  Before they left, Dad introduced me to Spencer and Linda and told me that Spencer used to be in the band, but left for personal reasons, but he and Dad were still close.  They were super sweet and said they'd be around if Mom and I needed anything while Dad was away. 

Tyler and Josh both made sure I had their phone numbers, as did Andy, Joe, and Patrick. Pete reminded me I could call him any time. 

My friends went home and said they'd see me at school in the morning. I was actually kind of excited to be going back, but a little nervous. 

Mom followed me upstairs once everyone had left and Zack and Dad had gone to the airport. 

"Doctor Smith said as long as your stitches look dry, we can carefully wash your hair. Let's do that, huh? We'll do that over your shower, then I'll help you shower and not get your cast wet."

"Alright," I said. It was weird undressing in front of my mom, who was my mom, but not biologically my mom. 

My shower had a handheld shower head, so I wrapped a towel around myself and bent over the inside of my shower.  Mom very, very gently unwrapped my bandages and checked the stitches. 

"Looks good. But good god, your hair is gross," she said. 

"I bet," I said, looking at what was hanging down. It was all matted with dried blood. 

Mom started carefully rinsing my hair. It was gross, seeing the dried blood coming out. Mom had gotten some baby shampoo, so that she could wash my hair, but not worry about it irritating my stitches if any got on that part. She washed my hair at least three times before it stopped running somewhat red. She then put in a little conditioner, rubbed it through, and rinsed that out. 

"Okay, into the shower, and keep your right arm outside." 

She wrapped a garbage bag around my cast and then helped me wash my body. She had to do most of the left side since I couldn't use my right hand to wash my arm and underarms. It was very awkward.  But then, she'd been helping me get dressed since we came home from the hospital.

She helped me brush my hair and dry it very carefully.

"Do you want to try sleeping without the bandages? Doc said if you're comfortable, you can try."

"I don't know. I'm scared of like, the stitches popping, or something happening to the piece of skull."

"How hard is your pillow?" Mom joked. "Lie down, see how it feels. If you don't like it, I'll put your bandages back on."

I lay back, but it wasn't comfortable, so Mom wrapped my head back up. I lay back down, and Bogart hopped up onto the bed and curled up beside me. 

"He really, really loves you," Mom said. "When you were in the hospital, Kala told me he kept whining at their door wanting to go home. Whenever I went over there because sometimes I went there to nap because the house was so empty without you, he would follow me, look for someone, and then go back to the front door."

"Aww, did ya miss me boy," I asked Bogart and rubbed his side.  He lifted his head and licked my face.  "Ugh! Dude, dog breath!" 

"Alright you, try to get some sleep, hey? I'm right down the hall and Granny and PopPop are across the hall,"

"Thanks for clearing that up, Mom," I said. "I was worried you'd switch rooms or something."

"Smartass," she said. "I'm going to go finish cleaning up downstairs, and I'll check on you later."

"Okay," I said, settling under my covers. 

It didn't actually take long for me to fall asleep. All the activity this afternoon had tired me out. 

"STOP! STOP IT!"

"Jess, Jessie, wake up honey, you're having a nightmare," I heard. Someone wrapped me in a hug. I opened my eyes. Mom was beside me, holding me. Granny and PopPop were in the doorway. 

"Nightmare?" Mom asked. 

I nodded.

"The boys again?" 

I nodded again. 

"I'm sorry baby. I'm sorry you're having nightmares still," Mom rocked me back and forth. 

"Can you stay?" I asked. 

"Sure, baby." 

I moved over and Mom lay down beside me, wrapping me in her arms.

"Good night, my angel," PopPop said. 

"Good night PopPop. Good night Granny. Sorry, I woke you up," I said. 

"You don't worry about that, angel," PopPop said. 

Bogart jumped back up on the bed. He must have jumped off when Mom came in. 

"You're safe, love," Mom said. "The boys have been expelled. They won't be at school tomorrow."

"But, what if they show up?"

"Ms. Abigail told me they are not allowed on school grounds, and if they do show up, they will be arrested," Mom said. 

"But what if their friends are mad that they got expelled? What if they want to beat me up for their friends getting expelled?"

"Well, I don't actually know how to answer that. But Ms. Abigail told me they are going to keep a close eye on you. And I'm sure your friends will keep you safe, too."

"I really want to go back tomorrow, but I'm kind of scared still."

"I know sweetheart. But remember, you can go to any of your teachers, Ms. Abigail, or call me and I'll come to get you. Okay?" 

 "Okay," I said. 

"Try to get some sleep, okay? I'll be right here."

"Okay. Thanks, Mom," I said.

Mom made me feel so safe, I fell asleep pretty quickly and easily. I didn't have any more nightmares.