Chapter 16

Sarah came home around 5 o' clock.

"Hey you two," she said coming into the backyard where we were drying off. "Did you have a good afternoon?"

"We did, I think," Brendon said, looking at me.

"Yep," I answered.

"Listen. I got a call from your social worker, Jess. She wants to come by on Wednesday morning to meet us, see how you're doing and discuss what happened on Saturday," Sarah said.

"We knew that was going to happen," Brendon said.

"Okay," I said. "No problem. Sheri is pretty cool. I lucked out in the foster system."

"Does that change our plans for tomorrow?" Brendon asked.

"I don't see why. But we'll just have to come home instead of maybe staying down there," Sarah said.

"Cool. Well, let's have an early dinner, get to bed somewhat early and head out early in the morning," Brendon said.

"What are you thinking for dinner?" Sarah asked.

"I was thinking we could eat the rest of the barbecue meats and the salads. Quick, easy." Brendon said.

"Jess, that okay with you?" Sarah asked.

"Sure," I shrugged.

"Alright. You two go shower and change. I'll pull stuff out and we'll have dinner. Maybe take a bit of a walk through the neighborhood so Jess can get an idea of how to get around on her own if she needs? We'll take Penny and Bogart," Sarah said.

"Sounds good," Brendon said.

We went upstairs and I went into my room and into my bathroom and took a quick shower. I got dressed and went downstairs to help with dinner.

"Anything I can help with?" I asked Sarah.

"Hmm. Not really. Want to set the table?" She said.

"Sure."

I set the table, and carried salads over. Brendon came down just after me and took the platter of meat out to the barbecue. Sarah had already lit it, and it was all warm. Once the meat was done, Brendon came back in, put the platter on the table and grabbed himself a beer.

"Want one?" He asked me. I stared at him.

"Uh..." I said.

"I'm kidding," he smiled. "Do you want juice, milk, water or soda?"

"Water is fine," I said. He filled a pitcher and brought it to the table. The three of us sat around the dining room table eating and talking and planning the next day. Brendon was insistent that we go on every roller coaster available to us.

"One advantage," he said. "Is that we'll have a staff member with us and Zack and Kala will have to come, since Zack is my security guy. We usually get fast passes, so no lineups."

"Okay," I said, remembering the long lineups we'd had to endure when the orphanage went.

"Make sure you get everything together that you'll need," Sarah said. "Meds, sunscreen, maybe a change of clothes, a bathing suit in case we go to the water park, a sweatshirt, a hat."

"I don't have any hats," I said.

Brendon jumped up and went into the front hall closet. He came back with a Dodgers baseball cap and stuck it on my head.

"Now you do," he smiled.

I took it off, looked at it, smiled and adjusted it to fit my head.

"Thanks," I said.

After dinner I helped clean up and put away the leftovers. Brendon got the dogs' leashes and the three of us went walking through the neighborhood. They pointed out areas of interest and shortcuts to the library, park and such. The library was only a couple of blocks away, but with a short cut, I could cut through a whole street and be at the library in five minutes.

We turned back towards home and went inside.

"Alright young lady, I know we said 10 for bedtime, but we have a busy day tomorrow. Go pack your bag and get to bed," Brendon said.

I did so, pulling the binders and notebooks out of my backpack and putting them on my desk, then tossing in a bathing suit, a book, my meds (after I'd taken my night meds and took out my morning meds), a hoodie and a change of clothes. I didn't have any sunscreen in my bathroom, but I figured Sarah would have some. I got into my pyjamas, brushed my teeth and hopped into bed.

There was a knock on the door.

"Come in," I said.

Brendon and Sarah came in.

"Just came to say goodnight," Sarah said.

"Okay," I said.

She sat on my bed and took my hand.

"Brendon told me what you two talked about this afternoon," she said. "Honey, I'm so sorry you're scared. I can't imagine how you're feeling. But like Brendon said, we're here for you and we'll be with you every step of the way."

"I know, thanks," I said quietly.

"So, sweet dreams, okay? You know where we are if you need us."

She kissed the top of my head.

"Good night, kiddo," Brendon said, hugging me and also kissing the top of my head. "Mmm. Chlorine and vanilla. Interesting combination."

I laughed.

"You're right. She does have a great laugh," Sarah said, smiling.

We said good night again and they left, leaving the door open just a bit.

I turned off my lamp, snuggled up with Mr. Bunny and was asleep in mere moments.

I had a good sleep and was surprised it was morning when Brendon came in to wake me up.

"Time for Disney!" He said, shaking me awake lightly.

"Morning," I said, rolling over.

"Get up, get dressed, we'll meet you in the kitchen.

He left the room and I got up and dressed and went downstairs.