Chapter 33

"Josh!!" I said, as the bus came to a stop and Bob opened the door. I jumped off the bus and ran over to him and threw my arms around him.

"Wow. I'm happy to see you, too, Jess," he smiled.

"You have to save me. You have got to convince Dad that his idea is a bad one!" I pleaded.

"Dad?  You're calling Brendon 'Dad'?  That's cool. But what's this bad idea?  And how are you feeling, anyway?  Sarah told me you'd been sick."

"I'm better. We stopped for gas in this little town and Dad thought the name was funny so he got us all shirts and wants us to wear them and take a picture and you know he's going to post it on social media. My social life will be over at school. Before I even have a social life!"

"Well, wait. Where did you stop?  What was the name of the town?"

"No word of a lie. 'Elephant Butte'," I said.

"Elephant Butt?!" Josh broke down laughing.  "Oh no. No. You gotta do it."

"You suck," I pouted.

Mom and Dad came off the bus just then and came over.

"Hey Josh. Thanks for coming," Mom said.

"My pleasure. Everything okay?"

"Oh, yeah. But Jess was sick for a couple of days and had to miss a couple of B's shows and I know she was disappointed, whether she wants to admit it or not. I thought an extra friendly face to hang out with backstage tonight might be fun."

"Tyler came with me. He was in LA with me working on some stuff,"

"Great!!"

He ruffled my hair. I frowned. He laughed.

We all went into the venue so Dad could check on set up and get ready for his sound check. Josh took me to where Tyler, was - in Dad's dressing room talking with Dallon and Dan.

"Ty, look who's here," Josh said. Tyler stood up and came over to me and scrutinized me.

"Hmm. Yeah," he said.

"Uh... hi?" I said.

"Hey Jess. Do you mind if I call you Jess?" He asked.

"Sure. No problem,"

"You gotta hear this, Ty," Josh said and told him about Dad's T-shirt idea.

"Oh! Oh you have to do that!" Tyler said, smiling.

"Do I have no one in my corner on this?!" I exclaimed.

"Nope," Josh laughed.

I flopped onto the couch and pretended to sulk.

Mom and Dad came into the room and saw me, thinking I was sulking for real.

"What's the matter, Jess?" Mom asked, sitting beside me.

"She's upset that B wants to ruin her social life before she has a social life," Josh laughed.

"How do you mean?" She asked me.

"The Elephant Butte shirts," I said.

Mom laughed.

"It's not funny!" I crossed my arms and frowned at her. "He'll post it to his social media and then I'll start school and everyone will make Elephant Butt jokes."

But she could see the twinkle in my eye.

"Well, who needs a social life? You have me, and Dad, and our friends."

"Gee, great," I laughed. "That sounds appropriate for a 13-year-old."

"Well, now I'm insulted," Josh said. "Because I work very hard at not being an adult as often as possible."

"It's true," Mom said. "Well, what do you say we go see some of Albuquerque while your dad gets ready for the show?"

"Alright," I said.

We found Dad to tell him what we were up to.

"I have some downtime later. I was going to do a Twitch stream. Be back by 5 if you want to be a part of it," he said.

"We will, it's hot out there," Mom said. "I'm not sure how long we'll last, but we'll try."

We called an Uber and Josh and Tyler came with us to check out Old Town Albuquerque. We learned a bunch of stuff about the city at the Albuquerque Museum, and went to a Pueblo Cultural Center and the museum of Nuclear Science and History. For museums they were pretty cool. I took a bunch of pictures and some pamphlets for the scrapbook Mom thought I could make for school.

Back at the venue, we dumped everything on the bus and went into Dad's dressing room.

"There she is!!  My kiddo has returned from conquering Albuquerque. Tell me, Jess, did you learn to spell Albuquerque?"

"I did not," I said. "Sorry anyone from here who might be at the show later.  But I love your city. I've never been here and you have so much awesome history!"

Hi Jess!!  Did you go to Old Town?

"Yep. And the Albuquerque Museum and the museum of nuclear science and history."

Summer vacation and your parents dragged you to MUSEUMS?!

I laughed.

"Well, I guess they want me to learn about our awesome country." I shrugged.

Jess, will you be at the show tonight?!

"I'll be here, yeah."

"She'll probably be hanging out backstage with Sarah and our friends. But maybe she'll come to the meet and greet for those of you lucky enough to be coming to that?" Dad said, while looking at me as if to ask.

"Maybe," I shrugged. "I'm gonna go back to Mom."

"Okay sweetheart,"

I'm coming to the meet and greet!  Hope to meet you, Jess!!

"That's cool!  Maybe I'll see you. Bye guys!" I waved and left. But not before dad grabbed me and gave me a wet kiss on the cheek.

"Ugh!  DAAAD!" I said, as I left the room.

"I love that sound,". I heard him say. "Dad." 

I went into the main part of the dressing room. Where Tyler and Josh were talking with a Dallon, Dan and Kenny. Kala and Mom were sitting back and chatting and Zack was running in and out doing stuff.

"Hey, kid," Zack said. "Wanna come out with me and surprise some fans with upgraded tickets?"

"Can I, Mom?" I asked.

"Sure. Stick to Zack. Do. Not. Leave. His.  Side."

"So, stay away from Zack, and give him plenty of space?" I said.

"Yes. Exactly," Mom laughed.