Chapter 42

Aegeus Point of View

"I approached Mayor Diego and he refused to have anything to do with Juan. He refused to help us prove Juan's identity."

Leonor has been having hard time convincing the Mayor into helping us. Juan's identity can be proved by doctor that helped him change his face along with the documentation happened between them.

But without Mayor Diego's acceptance, Juan might not be fully convicted of his crimes.

"What might be the reason?" I asked to know as to why he is protecting the person who has been an obstacle in his political life.

"I looked into the past and present activities of the Mayor and they came out clean. Given that the results are clean, the mayor should feel relieved to have his son locked up for messing his political career. Why he isn't ready to confess is what surprised me, sir."

From what I knew and understand about the mayor, he is a person who values his pride and reputation more than anything. Although he did not commit a direct crime, he is capable of doing anything to keep his reputation and position intact.

Then why might he be risking his career for a son like Juan?

What might it be that he is worried and scared of?

The more I delve on the matter, the more I find is fishy. There is definitely something we are ignoring in the whole issue.

"The wedding ceremony starts in less than an hour, sir. If we cannot get a statement from the Mayor, then there are high chances that Juan can evade few of the charge on him easily. What do we do now?"

Then, at that moment, something clicked in me. Bulb went off when a sudden realization made its appearance.

"Leonor, check if Juan used the mayor's face before." I ordered as the missing pieces fell in their right place.

Why didn't I think about it before?

"Huh?"

"Juan must've used his father's face before and must've done something. He must be using that very thing against the mayor to put him under his thumb. He is using my papa's face now so using his father's wasn't a big deal for him. Check all the details, even the minute ones and see if anything suspicious happened in Mayor's life in the past years. I want the report in half an hour, Leonor. Employ all the subordinates and juniors into this matter." I ordered.

Leonor hurried away to do his job while I made my way to do my part of the investigation. With all my trusted juniors and teammates working on it, I can only use Cerberus's proud criminal agency for the further investigation.

I never knew there will come a day when I use her criminal agency to catch another criminal.

Putting my displeasure to rest for a while, I called Nereus and Lucas and told them to investigate the same thing that Leonor was doing.

I and Cerberus are currently under Juan's roof, preparing for the wedding ceremony that eventually lead him to the jail.

In any other case, I would be extremely cautious of my actions when I'm being an undercover agent; this case being completely different.

That mad girl really knows a thing or two about psychology for sure.

She staged everything and everyone in such a way that even when she told the criminal himself that I'm an undercover officer came to throw him behind the bars, the criminal didn't believe.

Although, at that moment, I lost half of my life hearing her revelation. She seriously revealed everything and swore a couple of times to make Juan believe but he brushed of with a mocking snicker and in turn played along with her as if she was kidding him.