Chapter 38

Ricky pulled into an empty parking stall and parked. He cut the engine, grabbed his backpack and took a deep breath. Let's hope this year goes more smoothly than the last. He got out and made his way towards the hallway closest to the band room. He came around the corner and smiled as he spotted Amy talking to Madison and Lauren.

"So the sale starts at 11:00 this Saturday," Madison said excitedly. Amy and Lauren laughed.

"Isn't it a little early to be shopping for homecoming dresses?" Amy asked. Madison wasn't put off.

"Of course not. This is the first time all three of us have had boyfriends in time for homecoming and I think we should go." Madison turned to Lauren and silently asked for her support. Lauren shook her head.

"Uh-uh, I'm with Amy. Besides, your boyfriend's supposed to ask you to the dance before you go looking for a dress."

"Oh details," Madison said, waving her hand as if waving away an annoying insect. She checked her cellphone and noticed the time. "I gotta get to my locker before first period. My math class is nowhere near it!" she exclaimed with annoyance. "See you guys at lunch?" Lauren and Amy nodded and Madison turned to walk away.

"I better get to my locker too," Lauren said with a wave before heading off in the same direction as Madison.

"Hey, gorgeous," Ricky said from behind her moments later. Amy turned towards him with a smile.

"Hey, handsome," she said before greeting him with a kiss as well. When they separated Ricky's heart swelled as he noticed she was still wearing the locket he'd given her. "So what was Madison so worked up about?" he asked conversationally as they headed inside, hands intertwined.

"She wants the three of us to go homecoming dress shopping this weekend."

"Isn't it kinda early for that? And don't most girls try to match their dress to the theme of the dance anyway?" Amy shrugged.

"I suppose so."

"And speaking of weekend plans, I wanted to ask you something."

"Yeah?" Amy said, stopping at her locker and opening it.

"Did you wanna keep the same arrangement we had this summer? Of doing things as a family on Saturday, I mean. With school back in session I figure sometimes we'll need the weekend to finish homework or whatnot, but we can still go out if you want." Amy smiled at his thoughtfulness.

"Actually I was thinking the same thing," she admitted as she placed her purse in her locker. "But I enjoy the time the three of us spend together. Soooooo. I was wondering if you'd be okay with us doing something every other Saturday, unless we've got some huge project or a test to study for or something." Ricky nodded in agreement.

"Sounds good to me." In the next hallway over Adrian and Ben had walked in just as Grace and Grant entered the hallway from the other end. The two girls rushed to each other, Adrian waddling a little more than running, and embraced.

"It's so good to see you, Adrian!" Grace said cheerfully. "How are you? I've been so busy the last couple of weeks that it seems we've only talked by text." Adrian laughed.

"I know right? But I've been good," she said with a smile, rubbing her belly. "And so has this little one." Ben and Grant merely acknowledged each other with a nod. "Oh!" Adrian suddenly exclaimed, bending just a little bit. Everyone was suddenly on high alert.

"What happened!?" Ben asked in a panic. "Is it time!?" Adrian chuckled.

"Relax, Bennie. Your daughter just decided to kick my bladder and now I have to pee," she explained. "I'll see you all later," she said with a wave as she headed for the bathroom. Grace turned towards Ben and gave him a hug.