Chapter 3: Whats Up Doc?

Thanks to jetlag Amy's internal clock was a little off so she was still awake at 7:30 when Ricky got up with John. Hearing him in the kitchen Amy went upstairs to shower and get dressed. She came downstairs in record time, a little anxious to begin her "quest." John, being his usual sunny self, smiled when he saw her. "Mama!" Amy couldn't help but smile as she walked over to him in his high chair and kissed the top of his head.

"Good morning sweetheart." John smiled and then continued playing with his breakfast. She turned towards Ricky with a smile that didn't reach her eyes and said good morning before making herself some toast. Ricky was instantly on full alert, prepared for the fight that was about to ensue about his sleeping around, but it didn't come. He tensely made himself some scrambled eggs and toast while Amy cut up fruit to go with hers. They sat at the kitchen table in silence while John gurgled happily. Half way through their meals Ricky was ready to get it over with.

"Are we gonna finish our conversation?"

"About what?"

"About me sleeping around."

"No."

"No?"

"No." She finished eating and Ricky stared at her in disbelief.

"Do you want me to take John to the nursery today for you?" he asked, since she obviously wasn't ready to talk.

"Yes, thank you. I'll pick him up tonight." She loaded her dishes into the dishwasher and then picked up the phone and dialed a number. Ricky watched her as he finished his breakfast, curious as to why she was making a call from the house phone instead of her cell.

"Hello, is Dr. Treacy available?" Ricky froze. Why was she calling a doctor? Is Amy alright?

"Amy?" Lauren responded confused. "Why are you looking for my mom? And why would you ask for her like that?"

"If she's not available I can call back later," Amy replied, not answering Lauren's questions. Ricky was still worried. Why isn't the doctor there? What if there's something seriously wrong with Amy?!

"She's here. Hang on. Mom!" Lauren's mother came to the phone moments later. "Hello?"

"Hello Dr. Treacy, this is Amy Jeurgens."

"Hello Amy. What can I do for you?" She didn't know why Amy was addressing her so formally and that alone piqued her interest.

"I need to have a rather personal discussion with. Do you have any time available today so that I can come by to talk to you?" Ricky was now very concerned. He knew 'personal' was probably code for 'lady problem'.

"If you'd be more comfortable coming here instead of my office then I will be home for the next two hours."

"Thank you. I will be at your home shortly." Amy hung up the phone and went to her room to get her purse. As she was about to leave the kitchen Ricky stopped her.

"Is everything okay Amy?" he asked with genuine concern in his eyes and voice.

"It will be," she replied, continuing up the stairs. Ricky checked his watch and saw that he needed to finish getting John ready and head to work. It was going to be a long day and it hadn't even started yet.

Lauren was around the corner from the kitchen shamelessly eavesdropping on her mother's phone call. Why is Amy calling my mom? Does she want a therapy session or something? Lauren's mother hung up the phone with a confused expression. She didn't know why Amy wanted a therapy session from her but since Amy had reached out for a reason she wasn't going to turn her away. She looked up and caught Lauren peeking around the corner.