Chapter 17: Cat Got Your Tongue

Ricky pulled up to his parents' house, Amy still on his mind. Upon walking into the house, he heard his son's laughter and smiled. He found John and his mom in the living room on the floor playing.

"Hi, Ricky. How was work?"

"Work was work," he said, sitting down to place a kiss on his son's head, getting a smile from him for his efforts.

"So this morning you said you wanted to talk. What's on your mind?" Ricky smirked. Leave it to mom to jump right in.

"I need your advice on a romance question." Margaret was intrigued.

"Oh? What's your question?"

"I need your advice about what type of romantic gesture best says 'I appreciate you and I'm sorry for being such an idiot.'" Margaret raised an eyebrow in confusion.

"Sweetheart, I'm gonna need a little more information than that before I can answer your question." Ricky sighed. He wasn't sure how to explain what he'd been feeling the past couple of weeks but he'd give it a shot.

"The first two weeks of Amy's music program I was literally walking in her shoes: living at her house, going to school, then work, then picking up John and taking care of him. I knew she did a lot for our son but I never realized just how much until I was doing it myself, and by myself. I mean sure her family pitched in from time to time but I was basically a single parent for two weeks. I got a new appreciation for her and realized just how much I'd taken her for granted. I had no idea what she went through every day all week." He ran a hand through his hair and Margaret looked at her son with a mixture of understanding and pride on her face. Understanding because she knew what caring for a small child was like and pride that her son had developed an understanding and appreciation for Amy.

"After those first two weeks I also really started to miss her." He gave a mirthless chuckle. "You know that expression 'absence makes the heart grow fonder'?"

"Yes."

"Well, I finally understand it. I missed talking to Amy face to face, being able to see her every day. I know we talked over the phone and she Skyped in at night to see and talk to John but it just wasn't the same!" Margaret tried her best to hide a smile. She knew Ricky well enough to know what was going on here.So he's developed romantic feelings for her and doesn't know what to do about it. If only he'd stop running from his emotions she thought with sadness.

"After walking in her shoes I know I need to tell her I'm sorry for taking her for granted but just coming out and saying that seems so….so….just not good enough. I've never been a romantic guy so I need a woman's advice on what would be romantic enough to say all that." He looked at his mother then, pleading with his eyes for her to help him. She looked at him with love and understanding and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"Son, romance is in the eye of the beholder." She could tell from his expression that her answer hadn't helped him and she chuckled. John chose that moment to climb into his dad's lap and Ricky absentmindedly wrapped his arms around him, waiting for his mother to explain. "What I mean is that every woman is different so what would be considered romantic to one may not be seen as such by another. If you want to do something romantic for Amy, you've got to plan a gesture around what you believe she would find romantic. I know that's probably not the answer you were looking for but if you want to do something romantic for Amy then you've gotta tailor the gestureto Amy." Ricky sighed but nodded. He picked up John and his mother helped him collect John's things and return them to his diaper bag. Margaret kissed both her boys on the cheek and sent them off with a wave. Ricky fastened John in his car seat and drove back to his apartment. Tailor it to Amy. What would Amy think was romantic? He had no idea. He'd gotten to know her a little at band camp and over the past year and a half he'd become well acquainted with her temperament and personality, but he didn't exactly know what made her tick romantically. This was gonna be harder than he thought.