Chapter 7: No Objections

So yea this one is kinda longer and I will be adding in more information so yea keep reading!!!! So I present chapter 7!!

Reuben was sitting in his office on pins and needles. He'd come back from a short deposition this morning to pick up some files for a case he had later on when Julia told him Amy had scheduled a meeting with him this afternoon. He'd left quickly after for the case but now it was over for the day. He'd grabbed an early lunch and had been racking his brain for the better part of half an hour wondering what she wanted to talk about. If she had scheduled an appointment with his office than it had to be a legal matter of some kind but all Julia had told him was that it was a personal matter. Writing a will? Medical power of attorney? Emancipation? What does she need my help with? He glanced at the clock and saw that it was exactly 12:00. In the front of his office Amy had just walked in and went up to the woman sitting at the front desk.

"Hello. My name is Amy Juergens and I have a 12:15 appointment with Mr. Ruben Enriquez." Julia just stared at her for a moment with her mouth open but quickly composed herself and smiled. She instructed Amy to please have a seat while she let Mr. Enriquez know she was here. Even though she was smiling, Julia's heart was racing. She's so young and if she's meeting with a district attorney, by herself, it must be something serious. Lord please watch over her. She quickly buzzed Ruben's office.

"Yes, Julia?"

"Ms. Juergens is here sir."

"Please, send her in." Amy walked in a few moments later and took a seat. Ruben was about to greet her when he noticed her facial expression, or rather, lack thereof. He got up to close the door and then returned to his seat, fully alert and focused now.

"Amy, Julia informed me you have a personal matter you wish to discuss." She nodded and he continued, "What exactly is it you would like to talk to me about?"

"Mr. Enriquez I need to have more of a personal interview with you than a discussion and I would appreciate complete honesty, regardless of what you think my reaction might be to the truth." If Ruben was focused before he was on hyper alert now. But the only way he was gonna know what this was about was to have this 'interview' with Amy.

"Very well."

"Why did you buy the house next door to my mother's?" Oh no, this is going to be about her and Adrian not getting along. He sighed but answered her question anyway.

"Cindy and I wanted to become a family and have all three of us living together in a house instead of an apartment. Cindy and I looked for homes in the school district but there were none for sale."

"How did you find out that my father was selling his house?"

"Adrian told us."

"Were you and your wife the first ones to make an offer on my father's house?"

"Yes," he answered hesitantly, not sure where she was going with this. Why is she so focused on the house all of the sudden?

"How do you know?"

"You father called and offered to let us look around."

"How did he know you and your wife were looking for a house?" Nope, this is still about Adrian.

"He told us Adrian had dropped by and mentioned it."

"Were you aware of the reasons your daughter wanted you to buy my father's house?"