Chapter 9: Winds of Change

I am going to do updates until chapter 10 then I will update next week!! I probably will get to chapter 13 by the end of the week maybe I actually haven't been that busy so I am able to update a bunch so yea I hope you enjoy and here comes guilt!!!!

Ricky somehow managed to arrive at the Juergens household minutes after Amy left to pick up John. He knocked on the backdoor the same moment Ashley came out of her room to head to the kitchen.

"Amy's not here. She left to pick up John."

"I know. The SUV wasn't in the driveway." She opened the door and he followed her into the kitchen.

"So what did you two fight about?"

"Come again?"

"She's been acting weird all day and refusing to speak to me. So what did you say to her? It's not about that kiss is it?" Ricky sighed and looked towards the ceiling, silently wishing God or some other cosmic entity would zap the answer to his questions about Amy straight into his brain. When no answers came, he simply shook his head.

"I have no idea," he told her honestly, finally looking back down at her. "All I know is that something's going on with her and she's not ready to talk about it." George and Anne both walked in the back door just then, George carrying bags of groceries while Anne carried only one and Robbie.

"Hello, Ricky" Anne greeted him. "Will you be staying for dinner?"

"I hadn't planned on it but if you don't mind having me I'd like to." Ricky didn't know what he planned to say to Amy so he didn't know how long the conversation would take. Might as well think about it over a hot meal.George began putting the groceries away as Anne took Robbie into the living room to place him in his playpen.

"So what have you been up to today, Princess?"

"Not much. Just trying to figure out what's wrong with Amy now." George quickly looked at Ashley before turning an angry stare at Ricky. "Did you two get in a fight about something already? She's been home for less than twenty-four hours!"

"NO! We didn't have a fight….exactly" he added, as George continued to glare at him angrily.

"And what does that mean?"

"Honestly? I have no idea. One minute we were having a…discussion and the next she just ended it."

"Hmmm," George said, knowing there was definitely something going on but not sure how to find out what. Before he could continue grilling Ricky the front doorbell rang. Saved by the bell Ricky thought, as Ashley went to answer it. Ashley found Lauren and Madison standing on the doorstep. She simply rolled her eyes and let them in, figuring it wasn't worth the effort to figure out what they were doing here.

"Amy's not back from the nursery yet," was all she said to them, so they made their way to the couch and waited.

"Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum are here to see Amy," she announced to her parents and Ricky as she grabbed a soda from the fridge. "Text me when dinner's ready." Ricky was feeling a little nervous since George was still looking at him with a questioning expression but mercifully Amy walked in the door at that moment and Ricky's mood instantly lifted at the sight of Amy holding their son and he smiled.

"Hey, Amy."

"Hi. What brings you by?"

"Just wondered if we could talk and finish the conversation we started last night."

"We need to table that conversation for now, but we'll get around to it."

"When do you think that will be?" Amy mentally ran through her list of people she needed to talk to and question. Figuring she could hopefully get her more emotional discussions finished by the end of the weekend, she looked at him and said, "Monday night. I'll see if one of my parents or Ashley can watch John and then I'll come by after work." George and Anne curiously watched the exchange and silently had a conversation of their own. Now what they wondered.

"Sounds good," he said, even though it didn't. Ricky didn't want to wait four whole days to figure out what was going on with Amy, but since she had at least told him when she'd be ready to talk about it, he would wait. Hearing Amy's voice, Lauren and Madison came into the kitchen. Madison quickly ran up to her and hugged her, as best she could, considering Amy was still holding John.

"Amy! I missed you so much! When did you get back? Why didn't you call us? Are you jet lagged?" Lauren rolled her eyes and tried to hide a smile at their best friend's exuberance. Madison really needed to learn some tact and self-control. Amy hugged her back and smiled.

"I got in late last night and yes, I'm starting to feel the jet lag catching up with me." She put John in his high chair and gave him a toy to play with before turning to face her friends. "I know you two wanna talk and catch up but I'm really not in the mood for girl talk tonight. Can you guys come by tomorrow instead?" Lauren and Madison were crestfallen that Amy wasn't going to tell them what was going on yet but they both nodded.

"We get off at 12:00 tomorrow so we'll come by then." Amy nodded in agreement before adding "We can make lunch here and then catch up." Amy walked them to the front door and, after a hug from each of her friends, they were on their way home. Ricky felt like pouting and didn't understand why. We have a son together so why would she talk to her girlfriends about whatever nonsense they're gonna talk about tomorrow but she won't talk to me about our relationship and our son until Monday!? He mentally had to check himself.We talk almost every day. We have a son, it's not like she's going anywhere, again, anytime soon. So why am I so annoyed that she won't talk to me? I mean, it's not like she's my girlfriend. Anne was busy preparing a salad to go with the lasagna she had prepared earlier and was now cooking and Ricky offered to set the dining room table, to keep himself busy.

Dinner was primarily a one-sided conversation, with Anne and George asking Amy to tell them about New York. Amy had genuinely enjoyed herself and Ricky watched her face light up a she told them all about her trip. I'm glad she was able to have a break and have some fun Ricky thought as he tried his hardest not to stare at her constantly and make sure he was actually eating his meal. She went into the kitchen and retrieved the gifts she'd gotten for everyone. She'd gotten George a magnet in the shape of the Statue of Liberty, her mom a New York-themed snow globe, an 'I Heart New York' t-shirt for Ashley, a stuffed dog in the shape of a hot dog for John, and a stuffed bear that had 'I Heart New York' on its stomach for Robbie.

Ricky was shocked when she turned to him and handed him a small package as well. He opened it and saw that she had gotten him a drum set magnet that had the caption 'New York Rocks' underneath it. Turning it over, he saw that she had bought it from a gift shop in Radio City Music Hall. He was speechless.She got me something? He had never once bought Amyanything. Not a birthday card (guilt suddenly washed over him again at remembering that he'd forgotten her birthday because he'd never known when it was), not a Christmas card, not a 'Congrats on the New Baby card', not a 'Thanks for Having My Kid' card (not that he thought there was really a Hallmark card for that); he hadn't even bought her a Mother's Day card after she had John. And here she's not only bought him a gift for no reason but it was personal. She knew he played drums and how much music meant to both of them and while visiting Radio City Music Hall, a building that, as musicians, they were both well aware of, she'd taken the time to think of him. How did I end up with such a wonderful person in my life? Ricky managed to choke out a hoarse "Thank you." The rest of the evening wrapped up quickly. George and Ricky cleaned up the dishes while Amy and Anne got the boys cleaned up and put to bed. Ricky said good night and made his way home, Amy still on his mind.