Chapter 44

When they reached the front of the line the woman behind the table smiled at them.

"Congratulations! You each get to choose a piece of Lancer spirit gear," she informed them while motioning towards the pompoms, t-shirts and rolled blankets in front of her.

"I'll take a blanket please," Amy informed the woman.

"I'm good thanks," Ricky replied. The woman handed Amy a blanket and Ricky took it for her.

"And what about your little man?" she asked, smiling at John. Amy and Ricky looked at each other and shared a knowing smile.

"A pompom," they said in unison." The lady held it up to John and he happily grabbed it, waving it all about.

"What do you say?" Amy asked him. John looked at the lady and smiled.

"Tank you!"

"You're very welcome little man." Their prizes dispersed, they showed the woman their student ID cards to get into the game for free, knowing children three and under got in free as well. She gave them a puzzled look before stamping their hands, surprised to find that Grant High had any teen parents. They headed towards the bleachers, several students eyeing them curiously and whispering, but they paid them no mind. Madison spotted them first and waved to get their attention. Amy spotted her and headed up into the stands. Madison, Justin and Lauren were already seated, each with a variety of concession stand goodies. As Amy sat down on a bleacher in front of Lauren, John noticed the cheerleaders warming up and pointed to them.

"Mommy! Dance!" Amy looked where he was pointing and chuckled.

"Yeah, sweetie. They're dancing." Amy made sure John was secure on her lap and then retrieved her plastic bag from Ricky and opened it. "Let's eat while we wait for the game. What do you say, John?" she asked as she took out a Tupperware container containing meat loaf and mixed vegetables. Ricky took it from her and opened it while she fished out a fork. As she was doing so Ashley and Griffin came up to her.

"Hey, Ames." Amy looked up at her sister. "I need to catch a ride home with you."

"Hi, auntie!" John said, waving his little pompom. Ashley smiled and leaned over to kiss his cheek.

"Hey, cutie." She stood back up and looked at Amy. "See you after the game." And with that she and Griffin walked off to sit somewhere else. Amy took John's pompom from him so she could feed him without distraction and be began to whimper.

"You can have it back after you eat," she explained gently, digging the fork into the meatloaf and pulling some out to feed to John. After eating several bites Amy set the container between her and Ricky to pull John's juice cup out of his bag and handed it to him. John took a healthy sized swig and then held it up to Amy to let her know he was finished. He ate a couple forkfuls of veggies before becoming distracted by the announcer's voice over the loud speaker.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please stand for the pledge of allegiance." Everyone stood while the band played the national anthem and when they finished the crowd cheered and clapped. Before Amy could sit back down, Ricky held out his arms for John.

"I'll hold him while you eat," he offered and she smiled her thanks. Ricky gave John back his little pompom and tried to keep his attention focused on the football players so Amy could eat in peace.

"What number is Jesse again?" Amy asked Lauren, setting the container in her lap to open the water bottle she had in her purse.

"32," she answered proudly. "There he is!" she said happily as she spotted him on the sidelines.

"And what number's Jason?" Amy asked, taking another bite of meatloaf.

"Uhhhh. 23 I think." Lauren looked at the sea of Lancers player trying to spot her brother to verify her answer. "Yep. 23," she said once she'd spotted him. Amy ate a couple of bites of veggies and set the container between her and Ricky again, reaching for John.