Chapter 24: Bruised Angels

Anne and George both got up early the next morning to fix breakfast for everyone. After getting Robbie ready and placing him in his high chair, Anne went to wake up Ashley.

"Wake up, Ashley," she said as she gently shook her daughter's shoulder. Ashley rolled over to look at her mother, confused as to why she'd be waking her up. "Come into the kitchen for a moment then you can go back to sleep if you want." Anne waited by the door to make sure Ashley was following her before heading back into the kitchen. Amy had already gotten herself and John up and ready for the day and was heading down the stairs as Anne and Ashley made their way into the kitchen. Amy was surprised to see Ashley up that early and the look on her sister's face told her she wasn't up because she wanted to be.

"Alright girls your father and I have something to tell you," Anne began. The sisters looked at each other, silently trying to ask the other if she knew what was going on. "Until this family gets back on track we're going to be having dinner together as a family every night, and we expect both of you to contribute to the conversation. Any questions?" Anne looked from one daughter to the next and Ashley shook her head. Amy bit her lip.

"Um, actually could we make an exception for Wednesdays and weekends?"

"Why?" Anne asked her.

"Ricky and I decided to have dinner as a family over at his apartment on Wednesdays this summer so we could get to know each other better and Margaret and Shakur want me to have dinner with them once or twice a month so I can get to know them better too." Everyone was a little surprised at Amy's announcement. Anne did some quick thinking.

"Alright, Amy. We'll eat dinner without you and John on Wednesdays and whatever night you have dinner with Margaret and Shakur. And it's only fair that we give Ashley one night a week when she doesn't have to eat with us too. Fair enough?" Anne looked at each of her family members and everyone nodded. "Okay then. Ashley, breakfast is ready if you wanna eat now but if not I can fix you a plate and leave it in the fridge for you to heat up later."

"Sounds good," Ashley said just before she yawned. "I'm going back to bed," she announced and left the kitchen. Anne, George, and Amy sat down at the kitchen table to eat their breakfast while the boy's enjoyed theirs from their high chairs.

"Ames," George said.

"Yeah dad?"

"Your mom and I talked last night about the conversations we've had with you recently and I just wanna let you know that we're all on the same page now."

"And we're gonna work at being better parents. How does that sound to you?" Anne asked. Amy smiled.

"Sounds good."

"So is there anyone else you're gonna have a heart-to-heart with?" George asked, genuinely curious. Amy nodded.

"I wanna talk to Grace and Jack next and then I need to talk to Adrian." George and Anne looked at each other with surprise.

"You don't have to if you don't want to, Ames," George was quick to reassure her. "Don't you think you've heard enough of what she has to say?"

"Dad, I need to talk to her, but it won't be anytime soon." George breathed a sigh of relief. He and Anne finished their breakfast and got ready to head off to work for the day. They hugged and kissed Amy and John before leaving and Amy placed a kiss on her little brother's cheek. Amy finished her breakfast and checked her watch. She still had a few minutes before she needed to leave for work so she decided to make some phone calls, starting with Grace. She hadn't expected Grace to be up yet and was prepared to leave a voice mail but Grace picked up after the third ring.