Chapter 12: Sister to Sister

Hanging up the phone Amy made her way to Ashley's room and knocked. Ashley looked up and merely nodded her head when she saw Amy, giving her permission to enter. Amy closed the door and walked over to Ashley's desk, turning the chair around to face the bed which Ashley was currently laying on sideways, still in her pajamas. She raised an eyebrow as Amy sat down. Finally, some answers.

"So?"

"I need to talk to you Ashley and this will go a whole lot faster if you skip the wise cracks and give me straight answers. I'll do my best to do the same."

"Okay…" Ashley replied, indicating that she agreed and was now waiting for Amy to start.

"When did you first realize you hated me?" Ashley looked at Amy like she was the biggest idiot on the planet.

"I don't hate you. You just irritate me."

"Why?"

"You really wanna know?" Amy nodded her head

"Because you're ridiculous." At Amy's look of confusion she continued. "Amy, you never fight back, you're always trying to make everybody else happy, you have little if any self-esteem and you can't see what's right in front of your face."

"What do you mean I never fight back?"

"The instant someone says something that hurts your feelings or does something that makes you cry, instead of standing up and saying how you feel, you back down or just walk away, crying. It's frustrating to try to fight with someone who won't fight back."

"But why do you want to fight with me? What exactly have I done that makes you wanna hurt me?" Ashley sighed in frustration.

"And there's that 'can't see what's in front of your face' issue. Amy, you had a baby in high school. Not only did you keep it but you got a job and kept going to school. You have every right to be proud of yourself for being a good mom but you keep letting people make you feel bad about it instead of telling them to take their opinions and attitude and shove it. I've been trying to get you to fight back by picking at you from time to time but all you do is cry and walk away. You've got a serious problem with confrontation."

"Why didn't you just tell me all of that instead of picking at me?"

"Because it's not my job to make you feel good about yourself Amy. That's why it's called self-esteem. Until you learn how to stand up to your sibling, someone who's lived with you for years, you're always gonna be a cry baby pushover."

"Okay. If you're not out to hurt me for the heck of it with your words, why do you try to hurt me with your actions?" Now Ashley was confused.

"What do you mean?"

"Stealing the adoption CD out of my jewelry box, telling dad I was a bad mother for considering adoption…" Ashley couldn't think of an answer right away. As she thought about it, Amy asked her another question.

"If you aren't out to hurt me then why haven't you treated me like a sister?"

"What does that even mean Amy?"

"If you're my sister, my family, someone I'm supposed to be able to trust and rely on, why did you not tell me you knew my boyfriend had cheated on me? Why did you kiss my son's father? Why did you tell me you had kissed my son's father? Why didn't you send me a text or call me for my birthday?"

"So this is all really about me kissing Ricky and forgetting your birthday?"

"No, Ash. It's about me trying to figure out why my sister dislikes me so much and why she would rather hurt and backstab me than talk to me and have my back. Ash, it feels like you hate me profusely for getting pregnant. I told you everything about that night. You know it wasn't planned and that I was terrified I was gonna be a bad mom if I kept my baby. You encouraged and supported me then so what changed?" Ashley just stared at her sister. It wasn't that she didn't love Amy or that they didn't have sisterly moments, it was just that they were two very different people.