Chapter 13: Daddy Dearest

Amy and Ashley walked into the kitchen to find her dad rummaging in the fridge. Noticing them out of the corner of his eye, he stood up.

"Hey girls. What are you two up to? Since when do you two hang out?" Ashley just rolled her eyes and Amy shook her head. Amy decided to speak first.

"We needed to have a sister to sister talk. And if you're not busy right now, I need to talk to you too." George raised his eyebrows in question but Amy didn't explain.

"Sure kiddo." Maybe now I'll get some answers about what's going on.

"Let's go into the living room. And Ash, since secrets don't stay secrets for long around here, you're welcome to join us." George and Ashley followed her and they all got comfortable on the couch. George sat with one ankle resting on his knee while Amy sat cross legged facing George and Ashley sat behind her.

"Dad, I need to ask you some hard and personal questions and I need the truth, all of it. No wise cracks, no sarcasm, no defensiveness, just straight answers." George could tell from her expression and body language that Amy was serious. Considering she rarely initiated confrontational discussions, she now had George's undivided attention.

"Deal?"

"Deal. What's on your mind kiddo?"

"Did you ever love our mother or were you just in love with her?"

"WHAT!? Where'd that come from, Ames!?"

"Just answer the question please, dad."

"Ames, you know I love your mom."

"That wasn't what I asked you."

"Ames, it's not that simple."

"Actually, it is dad. You either love someone and care about their wellbeing or you're just in love with someone and once those romantic feelings disappear you don't want anything to do with them anymore, for any reason." George could only stare at his eldest daughter. When did she become as blunt as Ashley?

"It's not always that black and white, Ames. Over time people change and so do their feelings for their spouses."

"I know that. What I want to know is why you went through with a marriage to someone you didn't love."

"Why are you so certain I don't love your mother?" No use beating around the bush. The direct approach seems to work best with dad.

"Because your actions have been screaming that you never loved me." George was floored. How on earth could she think I don't love her!? Even Ashley was shocked at Amy's answer.

"Okay young lady you're gonna have to explain that last remark. How did you arrive at that ridiculousconclusion!?"

"You're not gonna like my answer, dad, but I need you to let me say what I need to say." George nodded and Amy began her explanation.

"I carried my son inside me for eight and a half months. I was terrified of doing something wrong that could hurt him before he was born and my love for him grew every day, especially once he was developed enough that I could feel him kick and move around. I loved my son unconditionally and wanted him to have the kind of childhood illusion I had growing up. I wanted to be able to provide my baby with a stable, loving home, complete with a father and mother who both loved and wanted him unconditionally. I wanted him to be safe and worry free. I knew I couldn't provide that for my baby as a fifteen year old, unmarried, unemployed teenager. I didn't want to give my baby up for adoption but I loved him so much that I wanted to give him the best life I could, even if that life meant he was raised by another loving couple. When things fell into place so that I could financially and physically be able to care for my baby, I was ecstatic dad. Every day I would be able to see and care for the little person that had grown inside me and I couldn't wait to meet him."