11 Weeks

Draco ignored the incessant banging coming from behind his door. He knew he'd have to come out sooner or later, but he'd rather not until he absolutely had to. The previous week had passed by in a blur. He hadn't expected the bond to affect him so much. It was only after he was back on the potions that the officiate dropped in unannounced, yet again, and informed him that going off the potions would result in serious withdrawal symptoms, greatly amplifying the effects of the bond on his end.

Stupid officiate.

Couldn't he have told me that before I stopped taking the potion?

He could've saved me from making a complete idiot of myself.

Flashbacks of the previous week came back instantly when Draco started taking the potion again after his iron levels went back to normal He hadn't left his room since. He remembered throwing himself at Potter more than once, getting rejected every time, opening up about many personal things, and acting like a damsel in distress the whole seven days. It was mortifying, but he was sure things would get worse when he left the room, though. He had admitted to wanting the babies at some point and told Harry one of the reasons he was giving them up. The brunette would surely never shut up about that .

"Malfoy, come on! I know you're embarrassed, but you don't have to be! I know you didn't mean to say or do any of that. You heard the officiate; it was just the potions. Won't you come out? I won't hold anything against you," Harry said. It was the same thing he had been saying for six minutes straight, only with the wording changed.

When is he going to get bored already?!

Maybe never.

Draco huffed.

Why do you need me to come out so badly?

Just leave the food in the fridge like you used to.

I'll eat it when you leave.

No way.

If you don't come out within the next five minutes, I'm calling in sick for work.

Draco huffed in annoyance. He knew Harry wasn't joking. The brunette might actually call in sick and camp out in front of Draco's door until the blonde makes an appearance. He had no choice but to come out if he didn't want that happening.

"You have to promise not to mention anything I did or said!" Draco yelled at the door, then sighed in relief when Harry said he wouldn't.

True to his word, the brunette said nothing about the past week as they sat down for breakfast. That is...for the first five minutes or so.

"About what you said-" he started, but was interrupted by Malfoy throwing a glass of water on his face.

"I knew you wouldn't shut up about it! I don't know what I was thinking coming down here," Malfoy yelled. He was about to get up when Harry reached out and squeezed his hand tightly.

"Just let me say this one thing, please!" the brunette begged, staring at Draco with wide, pleading eyes. The blonde just had to give in. He gestured for Harry to go ahead.

"I am not judging you, and, I'm sorry, but this isn't about your pride. It's about your kids. Our kids. They deserve to have two parents, Draco. I would've let it go if you had some other, legitimate reason-"

"My reasons are legitimate," the blonde gritted out, closing his eyes. He shouldn't have thought, even for one moment, that Harry would get it. How could he?

"I do get it, Draco," the brunette reassured, squeezing the blonde's hand again, "I get it. Everyone is speaking about you and judging you and your reputation is ruined and you don't want to show your face in public ever again. I've been through that. Triwizard Tournament, remember? Yes, you have a legitimate reason, but it doesn't have to stay that way. Trust me on this, they'll talk about you more when you stay hidden. If you go out there, it might be tough for two weeks, but then they'll forget all about you and move on to the next thing. You don't see them writing about Ginny and me anymore, do you?"

The blonde reluctantly looked up at the brunette and was surprised to find that there truly wasn't any judgment or disgust in his green eyes. Harry looked sympathetic and sincere, but still-

"It's not the same thing," Draco said firmly, "You cheating on some girl won't make everyone fear you. Maybe the people without lives will talk about it forever, but the others don't care. You won't find them whispering about you in the streets or rejecting your job applications before they even interview you or-or always wondering whether your kids are also Death Eaters."

"Th-that's not true! Okay, fine. They might still judge you a bit, but if you're worried about the babies, then don't. No mature adult would judge innocent children just for who their father is!" the brunette said with a serious tone. Draco instantly burst out laughing and Harry pulled his own hand back, a little frustrated by the blonde not taking him seriously.

It's not like it's easy for me to share these things with him.

"What do you expect?" Draco said out between laughs, "How can I take you seriously when you're speaking nonsense, Potter?! Did Severus not treat you like absolute rubbish just because of who your father is?"

"That was one person!" Harry defended.

"Fine! What about everyone else? Did the entire school not treat you differently because of Vold- him? And you were just an innocent child at the time if you recall."

To the blonde's surprise, Harry said nothing, merely frowning in response to Draco's words.

"And, besides, that's not the only reason. I appreciate the...concern, but it's not like I made this decision without thinking it through. I don't want my kids to suffer because of me, and-"

If this is also about money-

It's not!

I mean, it is, but it's also not.

The brunette looked to be deep in thought for a few minutes, then sighed and continued slowly.

"We can raise them in the muggle world," he finally said. Draco's mouth hung open in surprise. The blonde didn't know what to say to that. It took him five minutes to reply.

"You don't even know me and, yet, you'd change your entire life-" he started.

"It's not for you!" Harry snapped, "It's for the twins. I grew up without parents, Malfoy. It wasn't easy. If there's any way of preventing my children from having to grow up that way, then I'll gladly do it. As for the 'not knowing you' part, I do expect you to be more...open if you decide to be involved in their lives. I'll do the same."

"It wouldn't work," Draco said simply, before wiping his mouth with a napkin and getting up. Harry stood as well.

"Why not?" he demanded, clearly getting irritated.

"I don't have to explain myself to you! I didn't agree to any of this. If you're forgetting, you were the one who insisted that he could do this alone. It's not my fault you're getting cold feet!" the blonde snapped, feeling vulnerable and exposed.

"I'm not getting cold feet. I was just trying to help!" the brunette yelled back.

"Well, don't!"

With that, Malfoy climbed up the stairs and disappeared in his room once again, leaving a seriously pissed off, and confused, Harry behind.