27 Weeks

"Do you do that a lot?"

Draco jumped upon hearing the brunette's voice, then blushed violently, having just been caught using Harry's wand to blow bubbles all around his room.

"Er...no?" he said, then continued when Harry started chuckling. "I just can't believe I can do this. I never thought I'd hold a wand again. Thank you, Harry."

The brunette waved him off.

"I should be the one thanking you. If I knew you could cook like that, I would've given you my wand ages ago. Merlin, I feel like I'm in food heaven. You spoil me too much."

Draco giggled, rolling his eyes as Harry sat on the edge of the bed, holding an envelope, and suddenly looking kind of nervous.

Hermione gave me this yesterday.

It has the sex of the babies.

Do you want to open it together?

The blonde's smile instantly faded. He narrowed his eyes at Harry, glaring daggers at the brunette.

"Why would you ask me that? I thought I made my feelings very clear," he hissed out. The brunette looked devastated at his response and a bit confused.

"Oh. Y-you said that a long time ago. We've gotten closer since then, and I thought-" he started, but Draco cut him off.

"You tolerating my presence shouldn't be described as us getting closer!" the blonde gritted out, though he knew that's not what Harry meant. He and the brunette had been having many moments, but the blonde would rather pretend they didn't just to avoid any unnecessary stress from their already painful situation.

"It's more than that, Draco. I am beginning to-" the brunette started. Draco blurted out the first thing he could think of, not wanting Harry to finish that sentence. He knew what the brunette would say, and he didn't want to hear it. He had made his choice, and Harry returning his feelings wouldn't change his mind.

"It's been two weeks and I still haven't made it to the bookshop," he said, cutting the brunette off. It seemed to do the trick; it distracted Harry from the conversation at hand. The blonde needed to remind the brunette why he couldn't stay, and why he could never be a good father to his children.

"Yes you did!" the brunette said.

"I didn't go in! I couldn't. What kind of a father would I be when I can't even walk into a place without breaking down and running home? What a great role model I am!" the blonde said sarcastically, gesturing with his arms. Harry sighed with a sad look on his face.

"Draco, it takes time to work through these things-" the brunette started slowly.

"Well, they're not going to wait for me. The whole world won't wait for me to be able to be bloody functional! They're due in three months, Harry and they're going to need someone to take care of them, not- not some child who needs you to hold his hand just so he could muster enough courage to walk out of the house."

"Plenty of parents have agoraphobia. They work around it. You can take care of them from in here until you're able to take them outside-" Harry started, still trying to convince the blonde. Draco immediately shook his head at the suggestion, his eyes burning with unshed tears. He didn't want to talk about this anymore. He needed to convince the brunette that this was for the best and get him to drop it forever.

"And ruin their childhood?! I- I want them to go to the park and make friends and go to nurseries. I want to be friends with the other mothers and have breakfast with them while we talk about how our babies kept us up all night. I w-want to have a job eventually so I am not burdening you. I want to be able to protect them from people who might bully or hurt them, but I can't! Merlin, I can't even think about doing any of that, about being around other people. It's all too much! I can't. I can't even teach them spells. When they see me using your wand and ask me why I don't have one, what am I supposed to say, then, huh? What excuse can I give?"

"I don't want you to leave!" Harry finally declared, his own eyes brimming with tears as well, the large green orbs pleading with Draco to change his mind.

"Who cares what you bloody want? I don't want to stay!" Draco yelled, wanting these eyes to stop looking at him. Harry was too sad. The blonde wanted nothing more than to give in, to stay with the brunette and their children, to have this life, his family, but he couldn't. It wouldn't be fair to them.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

The blonde watched, sorrow spreading through his very core, as Harry got up and left the room without another word, looking devastated.

"Bloody great, Draco. You've managed to piss off the nicest guy in history. This is a new record," the blonde murmured to himself, falling back onto the bed and looking up at the ceiling. He wanted to apologize, but his heart was still racing from their argument, from Harry's words. They both needed to calm down before seeing each other again. The blonde waited for an hour, mindlessly creating more bubbles with Harry's wand and popping them with his fingers.

Finally, he took a deep breath, let it out slowly, and left his room, intending on having a more civil conversation with the brunette. Though he hated to admit it, Harry was right from the very start when the brunette kept raving about how "communication is the key to good relationships." Harry was nowhere in sight when the blonde arrived in the sitting room, though. He had gone to work. Draco waited. The brunette didn't come back at midnight or the next morning. The blonde was starting to feel uneasy, starting to have ridiculous thoughts about the brunette and the she-weasley running away together and ignoring the blonde's presence forever.

Stop thinking that.

It won't happen.

Harry told me it wouldn't.

He wouldn't lie to me.

Maybe he just needs some time?

Draco finally discovered the reason behind the brunette's absence when Harry's owl brought 'the Daily Prophet' into the house. The blonde didn't usually read the magazine, since they were only interested in publishing absolute rubbish in there, but that day, he needed a distraction.

I have nothing better to do, anyway.

He had only managed one glance at the magazine before his blood grew cold. There, on the cover of the Daily Prophet, was a moving picture of Harry's bloody body being brought into St. Mungo's, a frantic Ron screaming at the healers, with the title reading "Harry Potter: The Boy Who Died Defending a Friend?"