The Line Of Duty

I stormed to the opposite end of the garden, under a large tree. I couldn't believe it. Harry and I had work today and we had both completely forgotten! And Umbridge wasn't so forgiving.

"Sheriff-"

"Tell me something, Weasley," she started off in her sickeningly sweet voice. I could hear her take a sip of what I presumed to be tea and she sighed. I gulped, glancing at Blaise as he stared at me angrily from where he sat handcuffed to the patio pillar.
"Where, may I ask, have you and Mr Potter been the past morning and now afternoon?" She asked calmly and I flinched. "Um-"
"Not 'um,' Mr Weasley. Speak up and speak properly," she insisted and I bit my lip, my chest heaving. "His car broke down as we were leaving. It's been at the shop all morning," I said, praying that she would believe my little lie. At that moment, it was probably the only thing keeping Harry and I away from suspension. Umbridge loved order. No one was allowed to be late for work without her permission. No one was allowed to miss work either unless you get vacation days which are extremely  rare, might I add! Everybody's desk looked the same with the exact same layout. It was a little scary how precise she wanted her Department to be. And don't get me wrong, we're one of the most praised Departments this side of the south but it came at a cost.

A pink, scary, orderly old woman kind of cost.

"Really? And why didn't you inform me or reception that that was the case?" She asked, her voice strained over the phone and I don't licked my lips fervently. "I-uh, my phones been charging the entire day, Sheriff. And Harry left his in the car by accident so it's stuck at the shop," I said, praying that she bought everything I was saying. Umbridge sighed on the opposite end of the line and afterwards, she was eerily quiet for a long, long time. Kind of like Blaise who was staring at me still. Though he didn't look angry. He look curious.

"Sheriff?" I said in a low voice.

"Mr Weasley. I don't care if you have to run to work. Get here immediately! And bring Potty with you!" She screamed and I flinched, nearly dropping my phone at the sheer pitch of her voice. "It's, uh, it's Potter, Sheriff. Not-um, not Potty," I whispered sheepishly and she laughed shrilly. "I don't care. One more tardy day from either of you and you're both permanently expelled!" She screamed before hanging up. I felt as if a solid iron block had slapped me. I couldn't loose my job! As much as I hated my boss I loved being a Deputy. However my dream of being a Detective would have to be on hold for the moment. I had to do something about the two mers tied to my patio.

I walked inside and Harry rounded on me, his eyes worried. "Was that Umbridge?" He asked and I nodded gravely, running a hand through my hair. "She wants us to come immediately," I stressed and Harry and I both glanced outside to the mers. "Go! Draco and I will stay and watch them," Hermione said but Draco immediately shook his head as he entered the room from the hallway, removing his phone from his ear. "They need me at the hospital immediately." He stated anxiously and I pursed my lips. Suddenly, the sound of Hermione's phone rang in her pocket and she stared at it.
"It's my boss." She closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose. I shook my head aggressively, trying to control my thoughts before smiling some-what encouragingly. "You know what, it's fine! They're tied to the pillar and can't leave. We'll all be back tonight. Only a few hours," I said positively.
But in all honesty, I was having trouble believing myself.

I was fidgeting in my desk as I read a long missing person's case file. My eyes couldn't focus on the words I was reading and I kept having to start over. By the time I had read the fourth sentence of the file about seven times I slammed it on my desk and groaned, running a hand through my hair. Before Harry, Hermione, Draco and I had all left for work, Draco had shot the two mers with a sedative. The sedative would only last for a few hours and I was beginning to get nervous. How long was Umbridge going to keep us here? Blaise's arm healed quicker than it should have. Does that mean his body will heal and flush out the sedative before we get home? What if the handcuffs aren't enough once they regain all their strength back?
I didn't realize I was glaring at my desk in a trance until another case file heavier than the one I had been reading landed on my desk with a defeaning thud. Ernie McMillan stood over me, looking bored as always. "Umbridge is sending everyone home including those who take the night shift. You and Potter are staying. You may leave at five AM." My jaw dropped and he left without another word. Opposite me, Harry glared at Ernie with so much malice I wouldn't be surprised if he shot him. Panic began to swell in the pit of my stomach and rage simmered my blood.

This was not good...