Time

Ron didn't remember going to sleep, but his eyes fluttered open at what he thought was around five in the morning. However, when he checked the time he was shocked to find out it was only three am, meaning he had only slept for about 2 hours after talking with his brother for so long. Ron dropped his phone back on the nightstand and grunted, sitting up properly. He listened tentatively to Bill's shallow breaths as the older man slept with Charlie on the other side of the room. Ron wondered how much he'd pulled the blankets until Bill had left. Chuckling at the thought, Ron stood up, stretched and walked down two flights of rickety stairs until he found his room. He was slightly taken aback by what he saw.

Harry was asleep in what had been his bed since the first time Ron had rescued Harry from his aunt and uncle. Draco, however, was not sleeping. He was sitting on the edge of the bed near Harry's feet, looking wide awake, but so tired at the same time. The dark purple bags under his eyes looked ghostly apon his pale skin, his usually neat, wavy hair parted down the middle was in disarray.

The look in his eyes was so far away that Ron wouldn't have been shocked if he'd fallen asleep with his eyes open. But he knew Draco was awake. Sitting with his hands clasped together against his lips

"We shouldn't have left them there."

Draco's sudden words took Ron by surprise and he stood there, unbeknownst of what to do.

"I know you think you're protecting Hermione and Harry but leaving Blaise there was.... Wrong-"

Ron gulped and shook his shoulders, moving to sit down on his bed.

"Pansy did nothing wrong to any of us. Hell, she saved you from Blaise back on the island. We could've figured out a way to-"

"What do you want me to do, Draco?" Ron interrupted tiredly, his voice soft yet laced with frustration. Draco's eyes moved from the floor to Ron's, holding his stare. "Listen to yourself, mate. Really listen. Do you really think you're better off with Blaise gone?"

Ron licked his lips. Thinking.

His gaze fell and his heart steadied.

"What was it like?" Ron asked out of the blue and Draco rose an eyebrow. "What was it like to what?" He questioned, sitting up properly. Ron hesitated for a brief moment before running a hand through his hair. Staring the blonde dead in the eyes.
"What was it like to fall in love?"

Draco frowned, regarding the sleeping, forest eyed man behind him. He smiled at the question. A lopsided grin that he rarely showed.

"It was like a clock with no hands."

Ron was the one to frown this time. The answer wasn't the one he'd expected at all.   But he wanted to know more. Maybe Draco's odd use of words might just help Ron figure out what he really wanted. Maybe it'd help him listen...

"What do you mean?" The ginger asked, and Draco smiled again, his dark grey eyes which were beginning to turn blue trailed on his sleeping love. "Time is a fickle thing, Weasle-Bee. Think of life as one large clock without any hands."

Ron stared in awe. Completely confused.

Draco merely snickered. "When you know the time is right. Place your hands."

Complete silence took over the room for what felt like hours as Ron mulled over Draco's words. Slowly, the sunlight of early morning began to creep through the breaks in the curtain. Ron rolled his eyes. "You're completely off your rocker, you know that?" He asked and Draco laughed. "Yeah, I get really philosophical at four in the bloody morning," Draco scorned and both boys laughed, albeit quietly as to not wake Harry. Ron leaned against his headboard and Draco put his head on his hands, his elbows leaning against his knees. Ron spoke this time.

"But if life is like a big clock, and I have to put the hands on it when the time is right-" He started and Draco looked up, an eyebrow raised. "Yes?"

Ron continued. "The time is right for what ? What exactly am I supposed to be waiting for?" He asked and Draco tutted the ginger, straightening his sitting posture before folding his arms.  A serene, almost sympathetic look took over his tired, sunken face and Ron felt as if he were getting advice from an eighty two year old man.

"If I'm correct. You're waiting for yourself." He said and Ron's eyes narrowed in confusion. Draco rolled his eyes, frowning. "It's no secret as to how much you've grown to care for Blaise, Ron. As much as you think leaving him at Finch Labs was the safer option for the four of us- did you ever stop to think about what you  wanted?"

Ron opened his mouth to retaliate but came up short, his words getting lost in his throat. A soft blush ran up his neck, all the way to his ears and he averted Draco's penitrating gaze. Realization dawned on Ron and he sighed, running a hand through his bed-headed ginger hair. Draco smirked in triumph.

"So, Deputy Ronald Weasley. What do you want?"

Ron looked up at him, determination filled his heart and adrenaline began pumping through his veins.

"I want my Mer back."