Alpha

I slid the sliding door closed behind me, not bothering to switch the porch lights on. The distant churn of the ocean and the post-rain wind lapping my hair backwards only seemed to quicken the pace of my heart.

Blaise was sitting cross legged on the white tiles. He hadn't moved the entire time I'd been here but I could tell he was wide awake, despite how late it was. His shoulders were tense and I knew his eyes were wide open, unblinking.

"Blaise?" I called and he flinched. I took that as a good sign. He was alive, for one, and he was listening. "Can we talk?"

I was about two feet away from him now. When he didn't reply, I opened the box of fish and held one out. His head lifted and he sniffed. I yelped when the fish was snatched out of my hand. Blaise was standing now, right in front of me.

He inhaled the fish so quickly I gulped. The hunger in his eyes when they locked onto mine made my heart skip a beat.

I also couldn't help noticing the bullet wounds where Hermione had shot him were gone, leaving two small scars where they'd been. I knew Draco was a great doctor but no ordinary person heals like that...

"More." He growled. I blinked and scrambled to give him another and another until the box was empty. He snarled angrily. "Sorry. None left." I held up my hands in surrender, hoping he'd understand that I was telling the truth. When he decided that I was, he smacked the box out of my hand and I flinched.

"Talk-" he ordered, "or I bite your arm off and feed it to you."

The threat didn't sound very dangerous, but I still managed to get scared which didn't go unnoticed by the mer. Considering he attacked me and  (I'm assuming) McLaggen, I didn't think Blaise was lying about biting my arm off. Let alone feeding it to me.

He growled, showing of pearly white serrated teeth and I stumbled, backing up.

"Wait, hold on! I'll talk!" I yelled, feeling my Adam's apple close up. My hands were trembling and I could hear my heart throbbing in my ears.

"I-I-I'm sorry!" I shouted, which I didn't mean to come out as a shout but at this point, I was struggling to control what my body was doing. "I'm sorry," I said more softly. Unfortunately, Blaise didn't seem convinced, so I continued. "I'm sorry I gave you to them, Blaise. I shouldn't have. It was wrong. You trusted me and I betrayed you. But I'm going to make it right. I'm-I'm going to set you free. You and Theo and Pansy."

There was a look in the mer's eyes that I couldn't place. His dark, almost black eyes cracked like broken glass. He looked tired, in pain, torn and angry all at the same time.

He stared at me for a long time with the same expression. Suddenly, his eyes trailed to the floor and he sniffed.

"This... Blaise and Pansy and Theo you speak of. Are they like me?"

My eyes widened. I walked towards him and to the mer's surprise, I gave him a hug. Blaise tensed before settling a little. His shoulders slumped and he leaned against me.

He couldn't remember his own name. He couldn't remember his family, his pod. I don't know about you, but if I lost all recollection of Harry and Hermione, let alone my own name, I'd need a hug too.

I let him go and found he was watching we with wide eyes. I pointed at his chest.

"Blaise. You are Blaise."

He stared at my finger poking his chest and frowned, "I am Blaise?"

I nodded, smiling slightly. "Yes. You are. And, and Pansy and Theo are family. Your family."

He didn't really seem to understand the concept, but he nodded either way.

"I'm confused," he stated out of the blue and I rose an eyebrow. How he hadn't killed me yet? I still didn't know. " If Pansy and Theo are family... what are you?"

The question caught me so off guard I took my gaze off of his. Bad idea. I immediately knew I'd fucked up. Animals, I'm guessing fish as well, are all about dominance. The only reason Blaise hadn't attacked me yet might be because I'd been holding eye contact with him since the hug. Now I was staring at the ground somewhat submissively.

I mean, I'm probably extremely wrong. I know nothing about mers and their behavioral patterns, but Blaise looked angry. He didn't want me shying away from him right now. He wanted answers. And unfortunately, though he is a different species entirely- I needed to show him who was alpha around here.

"What are you?" He asked again, more aggressively. It was taking me quite a while to compose myself, and when I didn't answer Blaise grabbed my wrist. My breath hitched and I glared at him, despite how afraid I was that he'd rip my hand off. "Blaise-" I growled slowly. "Let me go."

When he didn't, I stepped closer to him. He might've been an inch taller than me but I hoped the look I gave him told him it didn't matter.

"Let me go. Now."

He let go of my arm and I exhaled loudly, rubbing my bruised wrist. "Thank you," I said. Yeah, he might have hurt me but I wasn't above kindness. Especially when he didn't really understand the concept of kindness.

I squared my shoulders, trying to keep this confident facade going and answered his question. "I don't know what I am."

He frowned. "You don't know?" He snarled, raising an eyebrow. I shook my head. "If anything, I'm the guy that screwed up your life."

It wasn't a joke but I laughed anyway and Blaise stared at me curiously. I smiled, shaking my head. "Doesn't matter," I whispered.

There was silence for a long time. The only sounds were the trees rustling sofly and after a while, even my heart had calmed down. I watched him, taking in every feature of his face, the angle of his cheek bone, the way his eye would twitch when a gust of wind blew against his back. His lips remained completely still, thick and pursed. The soak in the rain had done him good. He didn't look as sickly and dry. Under the dark, clouded navy sky, his copper skin took on a shine that outlined the sharpness of his face.

I glanced at his lips again and bit my own. I missed them. I missed him. I missed everything about him, yet he was standing right in front of me. But he'd never let me do anything. I'd be dead before I could-

My eyes widened.

Blaise's lips crashed into mine hard. I stumbled and nearly lost my balance but he wrapped his arm around my waist and held me up. My eyes fluttered closed and I snaked my arms around his torso and up his arms, my fingers digging into his hair.

His tongue explored my mouth and I moaned. I trailed my lips down his chin and towards his neck, sucking and biting. Blaise moaned and his head lolled back.

Suddenly, I was whisked off my feet and my back hit one of the patio pillers with such force I whimpered.

Blaise found my lips again and attacked them hungry. I moaned again. Blaise planted me back onto my feet and stepped away from me, his lip bleeding. My eyes widened. I didn't remember biting him, but he didn't seem fazed by it.

"I know what you are now," He decided, his dark eyes full of lust. That voice, that way he talked when we'd first met was back. Deep and compelling.

"What am I, then?" I asked breathlessly, still in a state of euphoria from his kisses. Blaise's eyes flashed brightly and he growled out, "Mine."