Memory Lost

Harry and I glanced at each other. We following the voice into the office. When I entered, I was immediately bombarded with sun because of the large floor to ceiling windows in the office. I felt warmth swim through my body and I adjusted my sunglasses. Not opposed to taking them off. But then again, I looked intimidating and I'd like to keep it that way. Before us stood a man. He had salt and pepper hair, tan skin with a few freckles, large glasses, a handsome smile and he looked very fancy in his plane black slacks and red shirt tucked in.

"Mr McLaggen, I presume?" I asked and he chuckled, smiling as he leaned against his desk. "Yes, and you must be Deputy Weasley and Potter. Umbridge informed me you were bringing a companion," he said chuffly and I rose an eyebrow at Harry. He shrugged. Mr McLaggen cleared his throat.
"Well, to business then. Please, sit," he gestured to the seats we stood near but Harry and I didn't move a muscle. "Standing is fine," Harry sneered and McLaggen rose an eyebrow before figuring he wouldn't win this battle. He continued.

"Well, Deputies, less than a week ago one of my teams received a notification on our heat signiture monitor of a possible life form of marine life that we had not yet studied, which is very unlikely here," he said and I was beginning to rethink the not sitting down thing now. "Our radar only detects underwater so somehow, that life form made its way onto land and therefore who couldn't track it."

Suddenly, realization hit me like a bomb and I began to dread wherever the rest of this conversation was going.

"However, after some close monitoring it appeared on our radar again-two of them actually-and we tracked it to an island near the North beaches,"

Harry tensed next to me and I knew he was thinking the same thing I was.

"Anyway, that's the boring stuff. We cought the two specimens which are now being held in our laboratories downstairs. Have either of you ever watched The Little Mermaid?"

I stumbled and Harry wrapped his hand around my waist. I felt slightly lightheaded.

This was not good. Not good at all-

Dr McLaggen smiled a bright smile, clasping his hands together happily.
"Brilliant! So I assume you know of the specimens I'm talking about? The Mers?" He asked. I had my eyes closed so Harry nodded for the both of us. "They wrecked our house and attacked our friends whilst we were at work," he said and the Doctor hummed thoughtfully, adjusting his glasses. "Well, Ronald. I bought you here to discuss something very serious that is happening with Specimen B," he said and I opened my eyes, my eyebrows furrowed. "When we found it. A magnificent creature, might I add. We had some complications getting it to comply with my orders so we had to sedate it. In doing so, the creature fell and hit his head extremely badly-"

My eyes widened.

"Unfortunately, we've done many tests and have come to the conclusion that it's suffered severe amnesia, memory loss, due to the brain damage it recieved. But it seems to only be able to remember one thing. A name, actually,"

My heart began beating harshly in my chest and I couldn't breath. I waited anxiously for what I feared he might say. I felt like another panic attack was coming on and I held Harry's hand behind my back. Looking for some form of comfort.

"That name, Deputy, being yours,"

I stumbled into the chair the McLaggen had insisted I sit in when we got here.

This couldn't be happening...

I blinked back tears, my chest tightening. I hated how I was feeling. I had just been told that a merman who'd nearly killed my best friend's boyfriend had lost his memory and I'm the only thing he remembers.

"Ron?"

I looked up at Harry's concerned face. I nodded, mustering a smile to let him know that I was alright. Suddenly, the Doctor cleared his throat. I stood up and squared my shoulders. I didn't know what my face was portraying but I knew I was definitely pissed.

"Well, spit it out then. What's the offer?" I spat and Dr McLaggen's carefree expression immediately turned cold. The sun disappeared and a chill ran up my spine.

"I don't think you understand the magnitude of this situation, Mr-"

"Deputy," I growled and he frowned before continuing.

"Mers have been known and recorded in fairytales and folklore throughout the course of time. But that's just that. A fairy tale! These specimens will change the very ground that scientists stand on. If Mers are real, you can only imagine what else might be out there. Mr- sorry, Deputy Weasley. If you help me, your name will be written in every history book from this day fourth,"

I rose an eyebrow, studying the Doctor's face. His handsome features had tiredness and desperation etched in his smile lines.
"Help you with that?" I asked and he clasped his hands together, licking his lips nervously. "Specimen B, as I mentioned earlier, has suffered from serious amnesia. As a result, he is much less hostile than Specimen's A and C. But he is also extremely frightened and refuses to eat anything we give him."

My face softened.

"He keeps repeating your name, which leads me to believe you two have had some type of history. If he doesn't eat, he could get more malnourished than he already is and he could die in a matter of days."

Harry stared at me with his intense green acid eyes. I knew exactly what he was thinking. I was thinking it too. With all relatively sane thought flying out my mind, I replied with something that would change my life forever.

"No."