Specimen B

My name is Specimen B. I am a Mer, a creature of the sea born to entice, strike and kill. For the humans, I would be recognized as a twenty five year old black male. For mers, I'd be recognized as a Siren. I hit my head, lost my memory and I also attacked a human named Ron on an island.

That was it. That was all I knew.

All I remembered...

The empty black void inside my head was almost unbearable. Having no memory of my past, where I can from, if I had a pod or not. What if I did have a pod? Would they be looking for me? Or were they like me, captured and forced into tests with needles and human beasts called machines. Would they know this Ron? After my memory loss, I had only met him twice. But I knew he could help. I'd called his name for hours until my throat wore dry, which was ironic seeing as I breathe underwater. This mysterious male had been my only hope, the only glimmer of my past- and he'd actually come to me.

But he'd left me here. I could've gotten answers from him. I could've beaten him until he told me everything he knew about me and then eaten his remains. But I didn't. No, instead I played with his fingers, mesmerized by his dryness. By all the dark dots covering his skin like barnacles would a boat. By his sunset coloured hair. By his coral shaded lips. By his human-ness.

And that had cost me...

I'd marked him on his second visit, and in return- he'd given me to them. Locked me away in this iron prison of poisonous water and thin, cold metal sticks and knives that cut my skin for what I'd now come to know as 'samples'.

I had relied on this mysterious Ron and all I got back was a world of pain and suffering.

I struggled against the bounds around my wrists. The thick straps of this unknown metal had burned their way through my skin, the tissue of my arms delicate and painful. They had bound my feet and neck with the same substance, tying me to a cold, silver platform. It had only been a little over forty-eight hours since my last meeting with Ron so I hadn't been in this position long- but I didn't know how long I'd last if they kept me here.

I hadn't been able to shift since waking up days ago in that forsaken, chemical tank. My body was drying too quickly. Whatever they put in that water was killing me slowly. I was so weak, eating those three human imbeciles had taken everything out of me. My last source of actual food.

Yes, the people here did give me a small portion of fish every three hours or so but as much as fish sustains me, it would take an entire tank of it to fully feed me.

I hadn't opened my eyes since they brought me into this room. When they'd wheeled me in I'd seen the ceiling. I could see myself in its metallic reflection. I'd gotten considerably thinner, my rib cage making a statement against my chest. My eyes were hallow and lifeless, my unruly hair matted against my head which I did not appreciate. Someone could've at least had the heart to cut it for me. My once dark skin was pale and dryer than a river bank in drought season.

To make a long story short, I looked dead. Which wasn't very far from what I felt.

I swear, when I get my hands on that duplicitous human ginger-

A loud cranking sound shocked me out of my thoughts and I stiffened, listening as the door groaned open. Warmth made the backs of my eyes red as the lights were turned on and I sniffed. Four people were in the room, that much I could tell. Their blood all smelt different, yet still appeasing. My stomach growled in frustration and I twitched.

"Boss said we're putting him back in the tank. If his condition worsens then we'll have to give him the adrenaline shot-" said a woman, her voice moving around the room. "What about the others? They seem fine." Said a male with a nasally voice and I flinched in my weakened state. My interest peaking.