What If?

"So-" Hermione began hesitantly. "We've obviously got a big problem on our hands."

"Big doesn't even cover it," Harry snorted, repeatedly switching his gun on and off of safety mode. The familiar sound made my spine tingle and I wriggled in my seat.

Harry, Hermione, Draco and I were all in Draco's bedroom at Malfoy Manor. The walls were dark green and silver, intricately patterned. Draco's bed, which we were all seated on was an even darker green than the walls. The way the four of us were sitting, as 23 year olds was kind of funny to me. We looked like children playing truth or dare, or messing with stuff that was too dangerous to be messing with like we used to do at school.

You'd never think we were about to have a serious conversation about a bloody mermaid with amnesia who's hell bent of eating me whole.

Hermione glanced at me and glared. "Ron, what could you possibly be smiling about?" She snapped and I chuckled tiredly, running a hand through my already messed up hair. "This is the weirdest bloody thing that's ever happened to us. There's an f-ing  mer outside! Which you shot by the way," I added and Hermione blushed.

"What are we going to do?" Draco asked, bringing us all back to the matter at hand. "Well, we've got two days until we report back to Sergeant Finnigan with our progress on the search for Blaise so that's one problem sorted seeing as he's downstairs," I said and Harry frowned. "But we can't possibly hand him over? We've already screwed his life over so many times."

I hated to admit it but I knew Harry was right. This entire thing started because of what I did back on Mage Island when I forced Blaise to change form in front of Harry by throwing salt water on him. He screamed so loudly Finch Labs had picked up the signal which immediately put a bounty and Blaise and Pansy's heads. Then we came back to Goldenville and I met Theodore, the third mer. A real charmer. Blaise showed up to protect Theo after Pansy was captured. Then Blaise and Theo kidnapped Draco thinking he knew about the people that took Pansy because of his surgical coat. Finch Labs got to Blaise and Theo in the process, Blaise fell and hit his head, Cormac took him from the lab, the military got involved and now here we are...

Pretty fucked up, I know.

This entire thing started with me. It is my burden to carry, which my friends are willingly carrying with me. I brought them into this, and it's my duty to get them out.

"We have to let him go." I stated. The three of them all stared at me in awe. "If he, Pansy, Theo and this other mer that the military have are the only ones then its better they're set free."

I caught Hermione's eye and I immediately knew we were thinking the same thing.

What if we can't let them go?

It often slipped my mind that Hermione had fallen for Pansy as I did for Blaise. These last couple of weeks have been hell, but at the same time I've never felt so alive with the mer in my life. The adrenaline boost I get everytime I think of his void black eyes or the way his tongue used to lap at my face was nothing like I'd ever felt. He might not remember any of it but I remember all  of it and I want that feeling back.

The only issue is- I might not live long enough unless Blaise's vendetta dissappears.

"So that's the plan then?"

I hadn't noticed I'd zoned out until Harry spoke. "Yeah," I said, clearing my throat. "We get Pansy and Theo back and we set them free."

Draco rose an eyebrow. "And McLaggen?"

I faltered. I hadn't really thought about the son of Terrence McLaggen in a while. A while meaning an hour or so. "If he wants to help, it's up to him. He got Blaise out but that doesn't mean he'll be willing to put his arse on the line for Pansy and Theo," I shrugged. I may not like Cormac at all, but I felt he may be our only chance at getting the other mers out of Finch Labs. I didn't say it out loud though. We'd already gotten enough bad news today.

We all glanced at each other, knowing that it wasn't a full proof plan at all, but I could tell the four of us were all hammered. Hermione was the first to stand. "Get to bed, boys. I'll keep watch on Blaise."

I immediately retaliated without missing a beat. "Blimey, Hermione. No way. You three go sleep. I'll-uh, I'll watch him."

Again, I didn't say it out loud, but I pleaded with my eyes and Hermione got the message. I could tell she wanted to force me into my bed and glue my eyes shut so that I could sleep but she wasn't about to stop me from seeing him and she knew that. I gave her a nod, a silent thank you and she nodded back. She walked towards me, kissed my cheek, gave me my gun back and bid me goodnight.

I exhaled exasperatedly the way a smoker would.
"Will you be okay?" Harry asked, getting up to change out of his uniform. Draco did the same.

"No clue, mate," I sighed honestly, the smallest smile on my face. "No bloody clue." Harry rolled his eyes playfully and once in his pajamas, walked over to me and embraced me in a hug. I didn't hug Harry alot but the minute his arms wrapped around me I crumbled ever so slightly. No words needed to be said in the moment and I was grateful he knew that. When he let me go, he patted my arm and smiled.

"Get some sleep, ya moron," he ordered, stifling a yawn. I rolled my eyes and made a face at him. "Night Malfoy!" I said as I turned to leave. "Night Weasle-bee!"

I nearly stopped in my tracks. He hadn't called me Weasle-bee since our Hogwarts days. The thought brought a smile to my face as I left the room.

. . .

After taking a long needed bath, I changed into a shirt and shorts and made my way downstairs. The Manor was large, quiet and eerie which I'd began to get used to after the few weeks Harry and I had been staying over.

Despite it's insane square footage, when you weren't alone Malfoy Manor didn't seem so dark and gloomy. I ran into the living room carrying a box of defrosted fish and peaked through the sliding door.

There he was, sitting cross-legged staring at the inky sky.

I glanced at McLaggen, whome Draco allowed a place on the couch. One of his legs were dangling off the side and his hair was matted over his face. He looked somewhat of a wreck, but I figured I should try to be a little kind to him. So begrudgingly, I carefully adjusted his leg back into the blankets and switched the electric couch on. I only discovered that the sofa could heat up a few days ago and Draco had laughed at how excited I was about it. I figured Cormac could have the same luxury even if it was only for a night.

My mind drifted away from the scientist on the couch and I focused on Blaise's silhouette again.

He might kill me tonight and no one would even be awake.

With that cheerful thought in mind, I opened the door and stepped outside.