2. When Help Is Needed

I carefully moved across the huge square. I had never in my life been amongst such a crowd, and much the less, a crowd that didn't seem to notice just how dense it was.
Nobody made room, and everybody shoved and pushed, but seemed just the happier despite the hostile environment.

I felt overthrown, crushed and overlooked in the mass. I was not very tall, so I drowned below the view of most of the pedestrians that rushed about. My shoulders were pushed, my toes stepped upon and bags hitting me left and right.

I had finally located a nearby sidestreet which seemed much quieter. I needed space to pick myself up, and get the courage to ask for help. I was shaking and tears were silently running down my face. I felt overwhelmed, and could not concentrate in the caos that occupied this square.

Had there been more quiet, less crowded and a bit more sun, I might have appreciated the beauty of this place. Old, fascinating buildings lined the square, exquisite shops with all kinds of goods were everywhere, and small cozy cafés occupied the small allyways between buildings.
Had I stayed along the perimeter of the square, perhaps I wouldn't have been sucked into the middle of a stampeede. The breathtaking fountain in the middle of the square had been to big of a temptation, and I had wandered towards it. Now all I wanted was to be in the safety of my small hotel room, that shook everytime a train passed just by the hotel, heading to the station next door.

A small man with a briefcase in front of me was stepping from side to side, also trying to get through the crowd, and just as me being overlooked by the trained inhabitants of Copenhagen.

Finally he pushed through and I saw my chance to also dash for the sidestreet just ahead of me.
But only one step I managed before someone else tripped on my hind leg, bringing me with them.
Out of habit I covered my glasses, but before I hit the ground a kind stranger caught my arm and pulled me upright once again. It was a tall, yet elegant woman, in a tight light coat. She smiled at me.

"Pas på min ven, alle har så travlt." she smiled and walked on.

I didn't understand anything she said, but she looked kind, and I chose to believe her words were too.

When I finally reached the sidestreet, only a few people occupied it, and small cute shops littered both sides of it. It was nice and more quiet, and I quickly caught my breath. "Finally." I whispered.

Looking around I wanted to find a local person to help me, but before I took another step, something wrapped around my right arm, and pulled me into the shadowed alley next to a small café. I felt the wind around me, and my hair flew into my face.

I stumbled over my own feet but dared not make a sound. The hand around my arm wasn't tight, but strong enough that I couldn't rip away. Another hand grabbed around the top of my left arm.
Before I knew it I was pinned against a brick wall by a broard chest.

My senses seemed to dull, and I was in a thick haze of content. Everything around me siezed to excist. I breathed in the most wonderfull scent i had ever smelled. I felt drunk, unbelivably, undeniably and rediculously drunk.

My eyes were shut tightly, and my glasses were scew on my nose. My legs shook and made it hard to stand.

What on earth had I taken that made me this intoxicated?

In the midst of my haze, I felt a warm hand sneak around my neck, and a thumb rub across my chin. My legs stopped shaking. I squeezed my eyes to keep them closed. My eyes were still wet from before and I felt a tear slip out.

"Darling." A deep and rumbling voice eminated from the man in front of me. He pressed even closer to me and snaked his other arm around my waist. His hand found it's way under my big coat, and lifted the hem of my shirt ever so slightly to rest his hand on the skin og my lower back. And I let him.

I slowly opened my eyes but kept my gaze downward. I could only see a dark wool shirt, and a grey overcoat. My hands were cold and i had clasped them together against my own chest.

"Are you from here?" His whole chest rumbled with each word.

My mind was far away, I still felt like the world was spinning, and my senses dulled. I put my hands against his chest, and had I been more sane at the moment I might have pushed him back. But instead I heard myself answer him.

"No, I on vacation." With a small whisper. I was almost drowsy on this ridiculous intoxication.

"Where are you staying?" His deep voice were closer to my ear now. I still hadn't looked up from his shirt. I looked sternly at my own fingers, laying flat against the material of his shirt before I dared tilt my head slowly.

First I saw his broard shoulders, he was much bigger than anyone I had ever met, his shoulders being so far apart I had to turn my head to each side.

His neck was strong, his muscles showing clearly, a scarf hang open across his shoulders. His face was beautiful, a beard covered his cheeks and chin. His eyes were green, and kind, despite the very much serious expression.

I suddenly found myself smiling, although it seemed I could not understand much of what was happening. His hand that were around me, tightened slightly, and his fingers traveled even further up the skin on my back. I shuddered under his touch.

He must be a kind man, I thought to myself. In fact, he must be the the kindest man I had ever met. He wanted to help me get home.

"Uhm.. I don't know how to pronounce the.." I stammered, still barely speaking above a whisper.

"Spell it for me, darling." His finger caressed my chin again, and his head dipped closer to mine. He was only a breath away.

As if hypnotised by this magnificent stranger I spelled out the name of the hotel.
"Hotel O-s-t-e-r-p-o-r-t"

"Østerport." He sent me a small smile. "Just a few kilometers from here, near the tracks."

I just kept smiling. His hand rose from my neck and gently corrected my glasses to sit straight on my nose.

"Let's get you home, darling." He retrieved both his hands, but placed one hand carefully back onto my lower back, outside my coat and guided me down the quieter street, away from the caos.

Yes - I thought. He is defidently the kindest man I had ever met.