38. What Happens In Finland

I woke up the feeling of the sun against my face. I slowly sat up and rubbed my eyes before stretching. I looked out of the car, the parkinglot were still empty.

I breathed a sigh of relief before slowly crawling back into the frontseat. Munin still stood on the steeringwheel, but slowly opened his eyes as I moved around.

"Is she still in Salla?" I asked him.

"Go to Aatsinki. She is by the lake." Munin answered before lightly jumping up my arm, to my shoulder.

I found the town he mentioned on the GPS and started the car. Five hours, then we would be there. My nerves were getting the best of me. I needed a plan.

"Munin, when I get there... How can I help? How can I save them?" I asked him.

"Look on the 6th page of the pocketbook." He answered me cryptically.

I chanted the pagenumber in my head as I notoriously followed the gps.

As the kilometers left slowly drizzled down, I felt my heart glench. What of I am only making things worse?

My nerves were jumping as I watched the kilometers go from triple digits to double.

What can I do? Am I bringing danger with me? Did they leave me with Anna for other reasons than my paralyzed state?

The thoughts jumbled and just as the remaining kilometers changed to single digits, Davids voice appeared in my head.

You have been nervous and jumpy for hours dear. What is wrong?

I opened my eyes wide as I fought to not tell him the truth, the whole truth.

I am just nervous about this whole thing. How it will end.

I succeeded in telling him just enough, and still the truth.

Don't worry darling, Malin will soon be gone.

I chose not to answer, fearing I had already said too much, or that David had.

Soon the road got smaller, and quickly turned into a bumpy dirt road. When I saw an open area ahead, where a series of rather larger lakes appeared I pulled the car to the side and got out, leaving the keys in it.

Munin stays on my shoulder and looked ahead at the sceneri.

"How should I..." I didn't even know what to ask Munin by now. But he seemed to understand.

"Go through the trees and behind the cabin to your left." I looked to my left and hurried into the coverage of the trees. With careful steps I walked towards the back of the cabin. From afar I glimsed into the cabin and saw several people there. It would be a lie if i said i didn't hope this was where David and Stefan were staying. Munin had pointed me to the whereabouts of Malin, but i really had hoped that David and Stefan were close by.

The people in the cabin were bend over a table and seemed deep in conversation. I stretched my head to see if I recognised any of their faces. I sighed in defeat and was about to move along, when I saw him. Towering above all of them were David. My David. I felt a warm feeling inside as I realised that I had missed him.

Through the window I saw David close his eyes and turn his back to the rest of them. He dissapeared from the view of the window, and I tried shaking my head to move on. He couldn't disturb me now.

Just as I was about to take a step, his voice appeared in my head.

I hope it was me who just made you that happy darling.

I could feel the longing in his voice.

If only you knew. I answered back.

I turned around and was about to walk on when a voice stopped me dead in my tracks.

"I'll be damned, I thought I had made sure you bastard-child lay defenseless in the livingroom of my oldest friend." A shrill voice sounded.