33. An Extensive Family Tree

It was late afternoon when Anna reappeared in the room where I was placed.

"Eleven short days left." She mumbled as she came in with a white bread sandwich on a plate.

"Sorry?" I said.

"Oh dear I have just been counting a little bit. We are now almost at the halfway mark. Less than eleven days left till your curse... Expires, per say." She said it like the most mundane thing in the world.

I furrowed my brows. The days had slightly molded together for me. Had it really been 10 days since I met David?

The chair dipped as Anna sat on the edge of it and held the sandwich towards me. I really didn't want to throw up again, but I needed some food. I was starving.

I leaned my head forward slightly and took a bite. I chewed it more carefully than I had ever chewed a mouthful of food before.

"So, do you miss home?" Anna asked, seemingly trying to make smalltalk.

"Not really. I usually visit my mother once a week. Leaving a daisy by her stone." I said in a sad voice. "Now I havn't been able to leave one last week. I hope she knows why." I was looking over Anna's shoulder, feeling a little uncomfortable with my own personal story.

"I am sure she knows why." She tilted her head as she observed me. "You know they don't just dissapear. All of our lost ones dine with the allfather and the other Gods in Asgaard. They hear about our lives here in Midgaard, she knows exactly what you are doing." Anna tried to reason with me.

"I am a christian Anna, I am afraid the nordic mythology doesn't do much for my comfort." I answered as she offered another bite.

"Honey." She said in a condescenting voice. "I don't normally care about you mortal's little fairytales, but... You are mated to a werewolf, sitting in a witch's living room because of a curse from another witch. Do you really think your childish 'turning water into wine' story is real?"

I furrowed my brows as she spoke.

"The nordic Gods are the foundation of all life, whether it is in Asgaard, Midgaard, Hel or any of the realms - your little wolves are direct descendants of Odin's wolves Gere and Freke, but tales bend the story and some think they might have lines back to Fenris, the dark wolf, fathered by Loke, larger than three werewolves, he who will break free to destroy Asgaard when Ragnarok comes." She was intensely telling the story. "But the mutts would never admit that Fenris had anything to do with their lineage."

She shook her head.

"Who do witches come from then?" I asked out of actual curiosity.

"Why we of course stem from Loke." She looked up with a longing look. "A cunning god he is. In times he is the kindest most generous, but when needs be he is decietful, ressourceful and smart." Had I not known that he was a god, I could have sworn she had a crush on the poor guy.

"You know, your new mother-in-law also stems from a god." Anna continued.

"David mentioned that she was supernatural too?" I asked.

"Yessss." Anna lisped a bit, but seemed to be doing so on purpose.

"Supernatural she is. Not many of her kind is left. She is an Oracle dear. They have the amazing ability to bend the mind of others. That is why your little pet can make you fall asleep, just by telling you too. Should he want to he could even make you dress down and bend over, all while making you think that is what you want." She said in a sinister voice.

"Oracles stem from Frej and Freja, the purest of gods, so believe me, no oracle would misuse their gifts that way." She shook her head.

"But vampires sure found a way to do so." She mused as she started walking around. The plate with a barely touched sandwich still lay in my lap.

"How so?" I asked, while eyeing the food in front of me.

"Well, theh figured that if they drank the blood of an oracle, but not enough to kill their victim, they too could bend the minds of others. Oracles are very coveted in the black supernstural market dear." She looked at me with an expression I had not seen on her before. Like I was some kind of shiny expensive vase.