43. A Deal

We entered the livingroom, David were right behind me and had a guiding hand pressed to my lower back. His fingers had quickly pulled the fabric up so he could lay his hand against my skin. I didn't mind though, it calmed my nerves. Davids story were very overwhelming and i felt helpless in this huge plot. And one thought was eating me up and had become all-consuming; Had I for good taken Stefan's chance of getting a mate away, by killing Anna?

The men in the room turned towards us, Stefan sent a smile out way before they all turned their attention back towards eachother. They were speaking what I assumed were either finnish or swedish. Every once in a while Stefan or Arne would say something, but never enough for me to understand the conversation.

David and I stayed in the background, near the diningtable. The seven men stood in a wonky circle near the fireplace, but kept a distance to the paralyzed witch.

Malin were laying on the floor in the corner, a piece of cloth around her mouth to keep her quiet. Her eyes were livid and you could clearly see that she was trying to fight against the restraints.

The men were talking amongst themselves but David stayed near me. Some part of him was touching me at all times. I enjoyed the comfort he provided. A comfort I hadn't felt since before my mom got sick. I leaned into his touch, and this only spurred him on as he pulled me to his side. His hand and lower arm dissapeared under the shirt i was wearing, as he rested his hand on my opposite hip.

The language barrier made it impossible to understand what the men were talking about. Curiously I looked up at David, cocking my head towards the men.

"They are discussing what should happen to Malin. We don't have a justicesystem per say anymore in the supernatural world, so we can't rely on any set of rules. A long time ago oracles were the respected leaders, because of their trait of justice, but ever simce they were hunted to near extinction a sense of anarchi has ruled." He pulled me closer to him before looking at the men. "Aake thinks she should have her hands removed, witches can't perform magic without them, so she would essentially be human, but immortal. Taavi thinks she should be given to Hel, the god of the deathrealm." David explained to me. I tried to process the information. I watched the men argue for a few minutes, u til my gaze fell on Malin again. Then a realisation hit me.

"You can't kill her!" I said a tad too loudly.

All eyes turned to me, and I felt a deep fear settle like a rock in my stomach.

I turned my eyes to David. He looked worried at me and he seemed confused as gently glenched my side. "If... If you kill her, then my father would die too?" I asked in a low voice. David's eyes widened as he realised what I meant. He looked to Arne with a lost look in his eyes.

"I thought you didn't know your father?" The man I assumed must be either Aake or Taavi said.

Stefan interrupted before I could answer. "What does it matter if she knows him? She has the right to meet her father." He moved to sit on a chair just next to David and I.

"Brother, we can just remove her hands. She won't be of any danger." Another one of the men I didn't know said.

Stefan looked to his father, who looked torn.

"Aake she killed her mother with a 20 year curse. She would have been given to Hel for less when the oracles were judges." The man who must me Aakes brother spoke.

"And besides, she knows that both Stefan and David are rare hybrids, what if she manages to spread that information? We cant bring that kind of danger to our families!" Taavi was angry.

I sank back and reached for a chair. The desperation of knowing my father was out there somewhere, but that I would perhaps never meet him was devastating.

Suddenly strangled noices from Malin interrupted us. We all turned towards her as she cast her head upwards while keepking eyecontact with Aake. With a confused expression he looked to the others, who shrugged at him.

Slowly he approached her, his sons and son-in-law were close by him and moved carefully closer to Malin along with him. Aake looked back at the rest of us before he wuickly moved the cloth away from her mouth and stepped back.

"I have a proposition." She said and looked between the men. None of them responded, but seemed to be waiting for her to continue. She avoided my eyes as she dragged the time out.

"I have some information, that I would be willing to give, in exchange for you not... Killing me." She said exhasperated. She looked vulnerable laying on the floor motionless, but despite this her eyes were livid and excited.

David furrowes his eyebrows. "What information?" He asked.

"Ahh... Now it wouldn't be wise of me to just spill it. But, I can say that it was no coincidence, that your dear little mate turned up in Copenhagen when she did." She said cryptically. "And I just might have the information that could assure that she wont follow mother dearest to the afterlife."

David moved in front of me alarmingly fast as he heaved with anger. A growl escaped him and the ground shook. Stefan who were seated next to me even stood up and sneered in her direction.

Aake held a hand up to the two angry men and turned to Malin again.

"If we only take your hands, and then let you go, you will share your information?" He asked.

"Well in my predicament right now I don't have much else to bargain with, do I?" She asked sarcastically.

Aake looked to Arne who had a serious expression. They nodded to eachother. But Aakes brother did not share their oppinion. "No way. She should not walk away from here. Arne you can for Odin's sake just look into the girls future!" He screamed at Stefans father.

"I tried Taavi. But the Elinor doesn't know of anything That could possibly be of danger to her or us, so I don't see anything there. I need to know who are plotting against her to be able to see what Malin is talking about."

Taavi was seething, but he had nothing on the anger that David was emitting right now. I could feel it strongly cursing through me. Carefully I placed a hand on Davids lower back, just under his shirt. Immediately his breathing seemed to slow down but he kept his stance in front of me.

When the discussion seemed to have reached an impasse, a raspy voice sounded from another room. "Taavi, come here."

His whole demeanor changed, as he visibly swallowed a lump in his throat. "Fuck." He whispered.